Haiku New Router? Modem not seeing HAI Controller and HAIKU

Hi Folks -

Time Warner just installed a newer but same model R/M in my home.  But I have now lost connection with my system through HAIKU.  I have updated the Public IP address, and assured the port 4369 was initiated.  I can even communicate with the HAI controller via PC Access via ethernet, so I know it is connected.  However a new local ip address has not been found and I can't see it connected to my router.  Thus when I try to see it on my iPhone it does not connect. Any ideas?

Turn off the Wi-Fi and try it.  Some routers can't loopback using an outside address.  With Wi-Fi one, can you connect to it using the local IP address? 

Turning off wi-fi doesn't work.  I think my problem is that the new router has new firmware that includes IPv6.  I was told that HAI does not support this.  However you cannot disable IPv6 on the router.  Trying to determine a work-around.

Also can't connect to the local IP 192.168.0.101, because the router can't see it.  Not sure if IPv6 is blocking it.

However a new local ip address has not been found and I can't see it connected to my router

The statement above makes no sense to me.

Post your network configuration and wireless configuration.   You do not have to post your IPs just some basics

1 - LAN configuration (subnet size)
2 - DHCP configuration scope and static IP's assigned.
3 - wireless configuration

I am guessing  your issues do not relate to IPv6 at all. 

Appears more to be a combo router / modem misconfiguration / internet access to your Haiku box than anything else.

What firewall configuration do you have in place for your Haiku box?  If the HAIKU box is using DHCP then the address might have changed for the box with your new combo modem thing which would probably change the rules set you had configured on your old router combo box.

All servers here utilize a static IP and only certain devices here on the network utilize DHCP or a static DHCP configuration.

Here CC is including a public accessible wireless interface on all of their new combo router / modems. 

Here like my internet  / network stuff a la carte.  That is me.

IE: separate modem, router, firewall, VOIP box and access points).  I did the same with the combination doo what from Verizon (FIOS).  It is only used for the STBs and I bridge the internet connection to another firewall and access point.

Just recently helped a Homeseer user with their new ISP provided combo box.  The ISP CS folks just stated to her that she needed a new computer to work with their new combo box and they couldn't do anything to help her configure her Homeseer box to their new combo router box.  It was an easy answer.  She went back to her old ISP provided stuff then.

You cannot shut it off or make changes to it.  It is their way of providing free wireless to anybody nearby as long as they have a CC account. 

How exactly are you connecting your IPhone to your home network?

1 - via the internet
2 - via the internally configured wireless built in to your AP
3 - maybe the externally public configured wireless built in to your AP (not sure if you have this though).

Pete

Screen shot below:  Current IP for HAI is 192.168.0.101.  It does note show up on the client list. I have attempted to connect using Cell connection as well via the internet.

IP: 192.168.x.x
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP Server is enabled
Start Ip: 192.168.0.2
End IP: 192.168.0.100

Wireless settings:
Wireless Mode: Mixed N/A
Beacon Interval: 100
DTIM Interval: 1
RTS Threshold: 2347
Fragment Threshold: 2346
Frame Burst: On
WMM Power Save Mode : On

It does note show up on the client list.

What client list? Are you referring to a client list on the combo box?

Can you ping the IP of the HAI panel inside of the house.  If you can then all is well.

If you can connect to the panel via PCA from the internet with the new firewall rules then all is well.

I am guessing that you are using HAIKU with your Iphone.

Baby steps.

Just a guess here but when accessing your HAI panel via HAIKU the Iphone talks to the HAIKU box and not the panel directly.

Do you or did you have a rules set on your old modem that allowed the HAIKU box to chit chat on the internet?

Wireless is wireless and the settings are very basic. 

Use your wirelessly connected laptop on your internal wireless network. 

If you can ping the HAIKU box and the HAI panel then all if fine.

I will try to answer all of these, however I'm not a network expert:

Sorry I left off the client list.  That list shows all the Ethernet and Wireless devices attached to the system.  It shows both the conventional IP = 192.168.x.x and the IPv6 versions.  Of the conventional IPs, the IP for the HAI controller is not shown.  But I can look it up on my wall panel, and validate the number.

I use PC Access to program the control board and I can communicate to the panel via Ethernet to read the board.  You can't control it that way.  You need either their proprietary iPhone app or HAIKU.

The HAIKU app talks directly to the wireless node on the HAI panel.  There is no intermediary device.  In order to talk remotely you have to set up the Public IP address for Time Warner in the Router/Modem and then port forward to the device.  I have confirmed all those numbers are correct.  I think I am communicating to the Public IP and then it is being forwarded. However, because the R/M can't see the private IP, it does not connect.  That is my hunch.  I can see all my devices on the Client List, except the HAI control board.  ??? 

Powercat80 said:
Also, not using a Static IP
You should be for the HAI panel.  The HAI panel does not suport DHCP.  Make sure the panel IP address is outside the DHCP range. 

HAIKU doesn't have any "box" it should be connecting to the panel directly.  Even when you use HAIKU Helper running on a Mac, HAIKU on the iPhone still talks to the panel directly. 

When you are inside your house on Wi-Fi, and you are outside your house on cellular, those are two different modes.  Inside your house you should connect to 192.168.0.X  If that doesn't work, you have other problems.

Outside your house you connect with your present IP address, assuming your router is routing port 4369 traffic to 192.168.0.x

There are a few tricks you can do to get it to work both inside and outside with the same IP address, but one thing at a time.

Powercat80 said:
I will try to answer all of these, however I'm not a network expert:

Sorry I left off the client list.  That list shows all the Ethernet and Wireless devices attached to the system.  It shows both the conventional IP = 192.168.x.x and the IPv6 versions.  Of the conventional IPs, the IP for the HAI controller is not shown.  But I can look it up on my wall panel, and validate the number.
That is likely NORMAL, because DHCP didn't assign the panel an IP address, that is why it isn't listed. If your console says its correct, its correct. And if PC Access can connect, its correct.

Remember, you can only connect to 192.168.0.X when you are on your Wi-Fi network.  When you are on your iPhone without Wi-Fi, you connect by going to your public IP address. 

IP6 is NOT causing your problem.  If you can't connect at 192.168.0.X INSIDE your house on Wi-Fi, you have other problems.  Fix that before attempting to connect outside.

The client list is called a DHCP list. It won't show the ip of the HAI panel because it needs a static IP.
If you are connecting to the panel from PC Access, your LAN connection is fine. And yes, you can control the panel that way... not sure why you say you can't.

Post a screen shot of your port forward page from the router please.

Thank you Ano.  I am not familiar with the IPhone HAIKU application.

So PC80's issue is just a configuration issue relating to using the IPhone on the local wireless network and outside on the internet.

You are right you can control from PCAccess, but I don't.  Only to test.

I have had the HAI panel for over 5 years with the same R/M and have never had a Static IP.  It has worked flawlessly.

Should I disable DHCP?

My R/M is extremely slow via the GUI, so give me a minute to post, but the port is 4369 - 4369

Should I disable DHCP?

no

DHCP doesn't have anything to do with your issue.

My R/M is extremely slow via the GUI

It should be fast if you are accessing it via the internal network. 

Are you accessing the R/M from your internal network?

Yes accessing the Arris R/M via ethernet.  Just bloody slow populating the pages.

I have made progress though, in that I can now connect via HAIKU with the local IP, so it does appear to be the public IP and port forwarding that is the problem.

Back