Haiku New Router? Modem not seeing HAI Controller and HAIKU

Yes accessing the Arris R/M via ethernet.

Wired or wirelessly?

What model of Arris combo is it?

Test your firewall configuration for the HAI panel by accessing the panel via PCA from the internet if you want before posting pics of the firewall page configuration stuff.  (port forwards et al).

Bare with me, as I have to call Time Warner support and figure out why I keep getting bounced off my R/M login.  Very frustrating.

Arris TG 1672

Here is the Port set-up:

Port Triggers   Description Outbound Port Type Inbound Port Home Automation 4369-4369 Both 4369-4369

Doesn't format well but says:

Outbound Port Type 4369 - 4369     Inbound Port: 4369 - 4369  Type: Both 

Thank you PC80.  You really ought not to publish your public IP address here.

PM me if you want to test your OPII connectivity via PCA from the internet.

Just a recap here.

Everything on the firewall looked fine.  Tested PCA connectivity to from here in the midwest and it did not work.

It appears to be a PCA/HAIKU issue with the dot zero public IP address.

PC80 is currently requesting from CS at Time Warner to getting another public IP address (above 0).  Basically a reset and request of a new DHCP address from the ISP.

Googling some:

In theory, all IP addresses are the same, and you can allocate them at random without a problem. 192.168.1.2 is certainly not better or worse than 192.168.1.15, right? But, in practice, certain IP addresses are regarded as "special" by some implementations and do not yield the same user experience. This is the case for the "dot-zero", IPv4 addresses in which the last byte is zero.

The problem described here has initially been brought by Xavier Beaudouin: If a provider assigns a dot-zero IP address to a customer, is this a disservice to the customer? The last byte of a dot-zero IPv4 address is null. It is not a network address, unless the prefix length happens to be 24. For instance, in the prefix 10.1.128.0/23, the address 10.1.129.0 is a host address, It is a dot-zero address, but not a network address. In theory, this address is perfectly legitimate and should work without any problem. But is it?
IPv4 addresses ending in ".255" can raise similar questions as described in this Windows bug.

We developed the following methodology: We took a list of networks of which each network had a dot-zero IPv4 address and a "normal" one (not ending in .0 or .255) in the same /24. Some networks also had a .255 address. All addresses must respond to ICMP echoes (ping). Those devices that didn't, were automatically excluded from the results.

The important discovery is that it seems that there is a difference between targets whose IP addresses are in the former class C space (from 192.* to 223.*). In these cases, the failure rate is 4%, where it is only 2% for the other addresses. So, whatever the bugs are, they seem related to classful code.
Conclusion
So, no, not all IP addresses are equal. Having a dot-zero address is a disadvantage, specially when it comes out of former class C space. One may wonder if network administrators should avoid these addresses.

Well I spoke with TWC and apparently their highest level of support does not have a way to assign a different Public IP address, (one that does not end in .0)  We even did a factory reset and the Pub. IP was the same.  They are now sending me out another modem that hopefully will assign a different IP.  I know some will because my old router/modem did not have an IP ending in "0".  Not sure if it is hard coded into the firmware, but right now my HAI panel is basically useless from a remote standpoint.

Pete - Thanks for all the guidance.  Will keep you posted.

Thank-you PC80.

Yup and thinking now that this stuff does relate to using IPv6 on the internet a bit.

Powercat80 said:
You are right you can control from PCAccess, but I don't.  Only to test.

I have had the HAI panel for over 5 years with the same R/M and have never had a Static IP.  It has worked flawlessly.

Should I disable DHCP?

My R/M is extremely slow via the GUI, so give me a minute to post, but the port is 4369 - 4369
Actually you've always had a static ip. The panel doesn't support dhcp. You must set it manually.
But that's just for your own knowledge, has nothing to do with the problem.

Relating to the issue of TMC and changing the DHCP address which is apparently connected to a static mac address on your new box you can if you want do what I do with my stuff. 

It might work; although not sure nowadays.  It still works for me.  You can force a change once and maybe get a new IP after you change it and go back.

Try spoofing the mac address on your combo box by bridging the internet facing Ethernet interface the inside Ethernet port.

Connect a laptop directly to this bridged port.  Typically on the bridge port the internet connection mac address should take it from your laptop.  If this works your will initially lose your internet and probably need to re-register your TMC stuff (account).  Wait a few minutes then reconnect your combo box the way you had it.  It will again need to be registered.  One of two things will happen.

Your modem will do DHCP with the TMC DHCP server and give you either your old IP or a new one. 

Not sure if you tried a cold reset of the modem.  You will need to reconfigure everything configured on the modem to do this maybe.  This is different than unplugging the modem or remotely doing a warm reset.

Not sure if you have a cold reset button as I just googled resetting a combo Arris modem.

Reset Button (Requires a pin or paper clip)

This button can be used to reboot or factory reset the modem. Pressing the button for 2 seconds will reboot the modem similar to reseating the power cable and the battery. To reset the modem to factory you can hold the button down for about 20 seconds. The Factory Default Reset of the Arris TG852/TG862 should only be done when instructed by a CS associate.

A little success, but not complete.  Exchanged R/M with TWC this morning, and it indeed created a public IP that did not end in zero, however I still cannot control the HAI outside of wifi with this new IP address. Ugh!!  I can control via wifi and my private IP, so I know it see's it and that I have the correct IP address for the controller.  ????? 

That helps narrow things down, as it can only be one of three problems.  First its possible TWC is blocking the port you are trying to use.  TWC is known for being the most evil provider that ever existed so its certainly possible.  Next, is your dynamic IP client working correctly and giving it the correct IP address of your house?  Make sure. Usually the real IP address is displayed by your router.  Finally are you SURE your post forwarding the port you are using to port 4639 at your panel?   Some routers are tricky to setup in this area and require some type of trigger before port forwarding. Make sure you are using unconditional port forwarding.  then make sure Wi-Fi in your iPhone is OFF when you testing access from the outside Internet.

If TWC is blocking ports, try another. Its probably a good idea to change the port number, as it reduces the odds of a hacker recognizing the HAI port. The have your router just do a port translation.

Go to Shields Up and make sure the port is forwarded correctly. It should return a "failed" response.
It will also show you your actual public ip but you can always just google "whats my ip?" and that will show you it also.

Did some testing here with PC80's stuff.

1 - PC80 got a new modem.  New modem came up as a dot three IP.  Old modem was a dot zero.
2 - no DDNS is being utilized - pure public IP address
3 - port scan - with OPII in DMZ doesn't show port 4369 - well it shows all ports RSTing on the scan - I have suggested maybe to switch HAI ports.
4 - using team viewer accessing Arris modem checked and both UPD/TCP 4369 ports configured on firewall.  There is only one setting for port triggers and another for DMZ.  Nothing else.  Putting the OPII panel in the DMZ should have worked.
5 - I can ping PC80's public IP address easy with no issues.
6 - bridged the outside ethernet port to the inside ethernet port (mistake here as I lost my connection).

Stuck here guys.  Any other suggestions?

Old  Arris Modem was the same combo one level down and the old issue was related to VOIP noise.  Old one worked just fine.

On with TWC tech support trying to figure out how to open any of the ports, on the ARRIS T1672,  particularly 4369.  slow process here...  There is no apparent way to do from the R/M logging in directly.  Seeing if there is an advanced setting  on the web version, or if this is controlled by TWC and they have to do it remotely.  I understand the security precaution, but this is nuts!

Back