New Touch Screen Paradigm

I mentioned the performance issue because I thought that video was part of the mix. You'd be hard pressed to do multiple streams of that, assuming RDP event supports video playback at all.

Dean Roddey said:
The Viewsonics are RDP clients. RDP can be used, but has many shortcomings. And if you want to support more than one, not only do you need a fair amount of horsepower on the back end, you need to pay for some sort of solutoin to allow for more than one RDP session at once, either by using Windows Server or buying one of the third party programs that allow for that. So it also adds expense.

If you are willing to buy used, you might still come out ahead. But, overall, I'm not sure you come out better than just buying a UMPC tablet.
My thinking was that I would use machines that I was retiring from service in some primary role to be airpanel machines. Even if I only do one machine per panel it would essentially be "free" hand me down hardware.

I know this goes against requirements stated in other threads, but this is a "what if" exercise so I am not ruling anything out.

The UMPC tablet is a consideration but I worry about higher cost and rapid obsolescence.

Rupp said:
The hack for XP works fine and allows 10 connections.
Rupp,

When you get a chance, could you let me know what setting you're adjusting to get that many connections?

I'm only able to get 3 concurrent sessions (console + 2), and I'd love to get a couple more if I could.

Thanks!

upstatemike said:
Thanks for the link Rupp... lots of good info! I see Paul is using the 110 model with MainLobby with good success. The Airpanel apparoach probably has better longevity since I could upgrade the host cpu without replacing the screens.

Anybody else using the airpanel as an interface?
I am using 6 Airpanels V150P and MainLobby, and as far as I am concerned it is running great.

The screens could refresh a little faster, but they work well and the Wife loves them.

StevenE

mwhistle said:
Rupp said:
The hack for XP works fine and allows 10 connections.
Rupp,

When you get a chance, could you let me know what setting you're adjusting to get that many connections?

I'm only able to get 3 concurrent sessions (console + 2), and I'd love to get a couple more if I could.

Thanks!
I would be interested in more than 3 also.

I get 3 rdp sessions with no console session or 2 rdp sessions and 1 console session.

StevenE

deranged said:
I am using 6 Airpanels V150P and MainLobby, and as far as I am concerned it is running great.

The screens could refresh a little faster, but they work well and the Wife loves them.

StevenE
My concern about the 150s is they dont do RDP while in the charging dock. I am picturing these being used while docked most of the time and only sometimes taken out for mobile use.

Guys,
I appologise. I run 2 XP Pro machines, one Win2k and one Win2k3 server. The Win2k3 server allows more RDP connections but the XP hac will only allow 3. Sorry for misleading you guys.

I am using 2 Fujitsu Stylistic 3400's running w2k with main lobby 3, for web browsing and play video on them w/o any issues. They are abundant on ebay for $145 or less.

10" screen
192 mb ram
400 mhz p3

Various CQC customers use those as well, and they seem to do fine, though anyone looking for something more upscale might not be happy with them.

Any comments on the battery duration of the Airpanels (or RDC think clients) vs. the UMPC and other full PCs?

The Samsung Q1 now has a 6 cell internal battery that touts 6 1/2 hr use. When combined with the standard battery, you can "hot swap" the batteries while plugged in and stay on battery longer. Will be available for shipping with Q1 Thursday from Cinemar. Pricing is on the website:
www.cinemaronline.com/samsungq1.html

CE is nice for fast boot. But, you can't run a PC application on it which really limits it's flexibility. That is what is nice with the UMPC.
You can run RDP from CE to a Windows Server for multiple connections, but then you have the expense of the Server OS.
CE devices are typically very low CPU compared to a PC / UMPC. But, because of that, good battery life typically.
If you have a specific purpose for it, and that runs on CE, then good to go. Otherwise a boat anchor.

DavidL said:
CE is nice for fast boot. But, you can't run a PC application on it which really limits it's flexibility. That is what is nice with the UMPC.
You can run RDP from CE to a Windows Server for multiple connections, but then you have the expense of the Server OS.
CE devices are typically very low CPU compared to a PC / UMPC. But, because of that, good battery life typically.
If you have a specific purpose for it, and that runs on CE, then good to go. Otherwise a boat anchor.
I think of it this way. UMPC or other touchscreen based 'clients' are part of a distributed processing system. They all handle their own part of the load and take the burden off the server. Whereas a CE based 'thin client' is just a front end to a server. Like David said the server and OS has to be able to handle the amount of clients connected to it thus making the server more expensive. Some applications that can run under CE are out there but that limits your choices. The UMPC looks like the right choice for those that want to run Mainlobby or CQC front ends.

David does the UMPC use an active stylus? If not will a finger tip work to push buttons? Have you seen one in operation?

John

Back