Omnipro 2 Hardwire Expander problem

ColeRex

Hi All, I hope that guru's and bright minds of this forum can help me with my system. Let me just start by saying that we bought a house that had Omnipro 2 installed in it, with all  the windows, doors and smoke detectors wired to the system. I got PC access for programing system, all was ok until one day, kitchen zone had trouble, kitchen window sensor was replaced but was still given same trouble code and after talking to Leviton on the phone it was decided to replace hardwire expander ( 10A06-1). FYI hardwire Expander has all my doors, windows, motion and glass brakes sensors on it. Once I received my new Hardwire Expander i installed it and now having very strange issue, PC access reads all the zone on HWExpder, but when window, door or motion activated or opened, loop values do not change and system does not react in any way. Sent HWExpnder back for testing got it back, same thing, loops are showing correct values but when door opens no chime, no change in loop value, nothing. If anyone has any idea, please help. Thanks

When the Omni starts acting up with strange issues like this, usually the first step is to erase RAM and do a complete reset (both available via the keypad) and then power cycle the panel.

When it comes back up, write the config back in from PC access.

This may be a dumb question, but you confirmed the hardwire expander is at the correct address with the jumper, right?

Thank you for responding neilIt. I did erase RAM, reloaded saved setting and same situation. Jumper set to 1. Last night I was working on the system again to discover that one zone on HWExpender does actually respond, it shows loop of 126-127 ( secured) and when i open window or door in the basement it goes into  trouble mode ( loop value 188) board notifies and PCA shows that all zones had trouble at this point as matter of fact all zones show value of 188. I believe that it should just go to not ready mode, since system was not armed, security was off. All other zones no response when closing or opening doors or windows. I open doors, i open windows, nothing. Crazy thing, it all used to work and nothing has been changed just hardwire expander  board. I did do continuity test on all my zones and they pass, garage door continuity showed that loop value does not change when door open but when i open door it interrupts  continuity test. I am puzzled at this point.

OK, next thing to try.

Undo each of the zones on the HWE, and wire each one up one at a time.  See if they work individually.

In the process of replacing the board, you may have inadvertently shorted or grounded one of the zones, throwing the whole thing out of whack.

NeilIt, thanks for recommendation, I am limited to only one post every 24 hours, I will try your suggestion and see what happens. Thanks again. Just a quick question, how do you think those zones can get grounded. Is there a sequence of wiring that i should follow, I am still going to do what you recommended, just thinking for the future, should i need to take hardwire expander off. thanks  

So I have tried your suggestion and got nothing happening, so basically hardwire expander has all 16 zones connected, they all show up on PC access as loops of 126-127 value, if i take out Jumper 1, everything goes to 0, so makes me believe that everything is connected OK. But problem remains, no matter what is happening to the zones, open/close, no loop value changes, no chime when door/window opens.  I tried putting system to Arm mode, and open one of the doors and it's like nothing happened, zones say secure on all of them, I am starting to think that maybe it's the main board of my Omnipro 2, that's causing the problem. I am just about to give up on this system and just get DIY nest or Ring. if anyone out there has an idea, you are welcome to joint. Thanks all

Here updated my OP2 panel a few years back.  Only issue that I saw / had related to the ribbon cable pin connections and shifting them over one pin.

I also had issues with one door reed switch.  I wired it it a bit too tight when the door was new and over a couple of years the door frame stretched and pulled on the wires.  Initially it was a random issue.  I replaced the sensor rather than fix it. 

I have not had an issue like you describe above relating to the whole expander board not functioning. 

I would follow the diagnostics as proposed above by neillt.

Maybe the new hardware expander is defective?  Did you try to install the old hardware expander afterwards?

Pete, thanks for input. I have sent new hardwire expander to Leviton before, they returned it, with a note that it passed all their tests. Ribbons checked , like million times, all zones show up, on new expander and the old one, I tried both, switched ribbons too. Removing jumper 1 puts loops at value 0. Continuity checked on all zones. To make sure I don't have a break somewhere, I connect multimeter to the zone wires and open and close door or window and get break in continuity, makes me believe no cross wire. But system just not seeing open door or window for some reason.

Yes then it might be some scrambled memory.

1 Back up your config with PCA and write down your keys and IP
2 cold reset it via keypad
3 redo your ip and keys via keypad
4 connect to the panel with PCA
5 upload your saved config

Most important that you backup your config. Well keys and is is there too.

Pete, thanks
So I a new to this system. I know how to get to EEPRAM with installer code, next to it I believe is ROM reset as well. Now I am not sure about step 3 (redo your ip and keys via keypad), could you please explain. I did do both EEPRAM and ROM resets. I do have everything saved. From what I have been reading hear on the forum, I keep expansion inclosure set at 0, because hardwire expander is treated as part of main board. I hope I right. But mostly could you please explain what to do in step 3. Thanks

redo your ip and keys via keypad

With a cold reset you will lose your IP and keys such that the only way to get back to the panel via IP will be if you are using same IP and Keys that you had configured earlier.  That stuff in in the installer menu on the keypad.

When doing a warm reset it the firmware doesn't change nor any of the settings.

The cold reset brings it back to new state with no configuration.

Resetting system RAM (call it warm reset)

1. Press 9.
  2. Enter Installer Code (can find under miscellaneous settings – installer code).
  3. Press #.
  4. Press 6.
  5. Scroll down to “Reset System RAM.” – DO NOT CHOOSE “Reset System EEPROM” – DO  NOT CHOOSE “Reset System EEPROM”
  6. Press 1.
  7. Press #.

Resetting system EEPROM (cold reset)

1. Press 9.
  2. Enter Installer Code (can find under miscellaneous settings – installer code).
  3. Press #.
  4. Press 6.
  5. Scroll down to “Reset System EEPROM”
  6. Press 1.
  7. Press #.

Thinking installer code will remain the same.  Note the default installer code if not changed is 1111.

What happens if you jumper a zone's input on the HWE locally?  It still stays at 126-127?

If you put a DC voltmeter on a zone input, what voltage do you get?

NeilIt, I measured voltage as per your recommendation, it's 13.12 V on all zones on HWE. When i put resistor on one zone, all zones show same number, even though only one is connected and everything else is disconnected from HWE. Board makes clicking sound like a relay switching on/off too, not sure if that suppose to happened.  If I connect just one zone I get all zones reading same loop values. Thanks

Take a picture of the HAI can.

1 - Check each zone one by one loop removing the wires from the HWE.

2 - you mentioned on the phone call that you have a separate power supply for the expander zone connections (PIRs et al) and that you accidently may have reversed the power leads from the PS to the devices connected to the Zone expander.

3 - PS is not directly connected to the expansion board or main board such that it wouldn't cause an issue to the two boards per our phone call.

4 - You could have a bad AUX power supply even though it shows a voltage or an issue relating to swapping the negative and positive to the powered devices on your expansion board.

For testing the one by one loop values connect each PIR to the boards main power supply (12VDC side) and check the PIR functions and loopback.  Do this one by one and tell us what you see.

With a VOM it is easy and the panel is very basic.  If you have not changed any values in PC Access it might be something as simple as the AUX power supply.  The PIRs are really resilent.

Pete, I did everything you suggested and came up with nothing, all the same problem. I made a lip of faith and bought a new board, from talking to Leviton Tech, it sounds like one of the relays is acting up, should have the board in few days and will report on progress. My new board is internet upgrade compatible. Fingers crossed. 

Back