PCS Email News Tue, Aug 21, 2018 11:00 am

pete_c

Guru
Got this in an email on Tuesday...
 
If you use or install the HAI / Leviton OMNI, then you should know about a new initiative from Powerline Control Systems specifically to help OMNI installers use PulseWorx UPB for lighting control. Complete details of this new initiative are now on the PCS website.

First, we have made changes to the UPB configuration program UPStart, that make it easier to configure PulseWorx devices to work with the OMNI. Look for those changes in version 8.2, downloadable from the PCS website.

Second, we have new application notes for OMNI installers that show how easy it is to integrate PulseWorx with the OMNI. These are available in the PulseWorx resources section of the PCS website.

Third, now available is a new adapter to use the PCS high-power double-transmitter PIM with the OMNI.
The PIM usually installed with the OMNI has a special connector that plugs into the OMNI board, so it wasn’t possible until now to use a PulseWorx PIM. Using the new adapter, the new higher power PulseWorx PIM-R can be used with the OMNI.
 
With the PulseWorx PIM, transmit signals are 50% stronger than older model PIMs. As the PIM connected to the OMNI is the single transmitter point that must be heard by all UPB device in the installation, this ensures a higher quality signal reaching all the devices.

In addition to the higher transmit power, the PulseWorx PIM also has a setting for high or low sensitivity. This setting helps reduce noise problems in installations with good signals but a low-level power line noise issue.

The sensitivity setting can be adjusted using UPStart and is stored in non-volatile memory. This means that you can adjust it with UPStart while the PIM-R is connected to your computer, then power down, and connect to the OMNI using the Adapter.

To find out more about the OMNI PIM-R adapter, we have an application note with all the details.

 
Personally here have not had issues with the HAI PIM and HAI (PCS) dual phase repeater.
 
 

JonW

Senior Member
HLC is nothing more than a pre-allocated room/device/link specification.  I run HLC in my system and all my devices are PCS or SA and I program everything via UpStart.  I just set it up to utilize the HLC allocations and everything works as it should.  This is a great feature that PCS is offering as it will allow you to basically do what I've been doing all along, but lay it out in UpStart for you.  Kudos to PCS.
 

pete_c

Guru
I am going to try the new software today.
 
I am curious whether it does something to the firmware of the switches. 
 
I want to see if once programmed by Upstart whether I can program the switch by using PCA or Omnitouch.6

Typically RDP to a Windows 2003 32 bit server from Linux laptop. Got an error relating to application not being a valid 32 bit application. Need to update this server to Windows 2006.

Trying on a new build of Windows 10 64 bit on laptop and using one UPB Pim connected to a Quatech serial server.
 

neillt

Active Member
Now if PCS ever answered their support e-mails that would be nice...
 
I finally ditched UPB when I did my remodel and went to RadioRA2.
 

pete_c

Guru
Yeah still using UPB here.
 
Decided to do a quickie build of W2016 this morning for RDP.
 
Currently run PCA, Upstart and Homeseer touchscreen designer via RDP and keep configurations on a mapped NAS drive.
 

ano

Senior Member
Yes this is interesting news.  I wonder if this new Omni PIM-R Adapter (OPA) is anything more than that cable we tried years ago?  For me it worked OK but missed some commands.  I wonder if this is an attempt by Leviton to get out of the hardware UPB business, and leave it to PCS?  I don't see how any switch could be programmed by the panel like Leviton UPB switches without a firmware update, and I don't think switches are firmware upgradable, but new PCS UPB switches could certainly have that capability added.

I just installed the new UPStart. It certainly doesn't scream out to you what is different. I don't see anything related to HLC. Anyone else see it?
 

ano

Senior Member
JonW said:
HLC is nothing more than a pre-allocated room/device/link specification.  I run HLC in my system and all my devices are PCS or SA and I program everything via UpStart.  I just set it up to utilize the HLC allocations and everything works as it should.  This is a great feature that PCS is offering as it will allow you to basically do what I've been doing all along, but lay it out in UpStart for you.  Kudos to PCS.
So your telling me you can change a room's lighting scene with just a room controller? Or you can program a UPB switch just using the panel without UPStart?  Those are the benefits HLC brings.  Yes with UPStart you can program everything , but its sure nice NOT to use it also.
 

pete_c

Guru
See an HLC ghosted reference here when clicking on a HAI UPB device using an HAI PIM.
 
Wondering if this only works with the PCS PIM?
 
HLC.jpg
 

JonW

Senior Member
ano said:
So your telling me you can change a room's lighting scene with just a room controller? Or you can program a UPB switch just using the panel without UPStart?  Those are the benefits HLC brings.  Yes with UPStart you can program everything , but its sure nice NOT to use it also.
Not sure what all you're getting at here ano.  Are you referring to modifying the room scenes with just the room controller?  Yes, I realize HLC brings the benefit of programming switches from the panel.  My point is that those of us who either had systems that pre-dated HLC or have bought switches that were non-HAI brands can still utilize the majority of the HLC design to achieve proper status reporting and room control the HLC way via UpStart. 
 
I personally prefer using UpStart for several reasons.  One is that each time I load the software I let it scan my system and it lets me know if any switches are either not reporting or if their configuration has changed.  You can't do that with HLC.  Additionally, once you set your switches up for HLC, you still have many other additional links available in the devices for creating more scenes across rooms - something else that HLC doesn't do. 
 
I also feel that anyone who digs into UpStart and sets up their system using the HLC conventions learns a lot more about how UPB & HLC work and are then more knowledgeable to either troubleshoot their system or to enhance their system with advanced programming.
 

ano

Senior Member
JonW said:
Not sure what all you're getting at here ano.  Are you referring to modifying the room scenes with just the room controller?  Yes, I realize HLC brings the benefit of programming switches from the panel.  My point is that those of us who either had systems that pre-dated HLC or have bought switches that were non-HAI brands can still utilize the majority of the HLC design to achieve proper status reporting and room control the HLC way via UpStart. 
 
I personally prefer using UpStart for several reasons.  One is that each time I load the software I let it scan my system and it lets me know if any switches are either not reporting or if their configuration has changed.  You can't do that with HLC.  Additionally, once you set your switches up for HLC, you still have many other additional links available in the devices for creating more scenes across rooms - something else that HLC doesn't do. 
 
I also feel that anyone who digs into UpStart and sets up their system using the HLC conventions learns a lot more about how UPB & HLC work and are then more knowledgeable to either troubleshoot their system or to enhance their system with advanced programming.
I have nothing against UPStart, or doing the way you do, but it is false when you say "HLC is nothing more than a pre-allocated room/device/link specification."  That is part of it, sure, but that is not ALL of it. 
 

JonW

Senior Member
ano said:
I have nothing against UPStart, or doing the way you do, but it is false when you say "HLC is nothing more than a pre-allocated room/device/link specification."  That is part of it, sure, but that is not ALL of it. 
Fair enough, but I think it's splitting hairs.  The room/device/link allocation scheme is the primary basis for HLC.  Programming scenes at the keypad is something that even SA switches can do, so I guess that leaves programming HLC from the panel as a stand-out feature of HLC.
 
The HLC allocation system works great and that's why I use it.  I just think you'd be limiting your capabilities if you didn't also use UpStart to enhance what HLC is doing.
 

JonW

Senior Member
cobra said:
Interesting, they claim HLC compatibility using newer UPStart with some of their devices.  Does that mean they just add links to the programmed device?  No details on the page about how they improve compatibility.
 
http://www.pcslighting.com/pulseworx/omni-support
I just tested one of my switches using the new UpStart and it appears that all they are doing is adding the appropriate first 6 links to the receive component and also setting the transmit components to scene 241/242 (status).
 
The only devices of mine that appear to have the new option "Configure OMNI HLC Device" enabled are my PCS WS1D switches.
 

cobra

Active Member
That makes sense.  I figured they were adding some more smarts to UPStart so it would configure a PCS switch as close as possible to a panel configured HAI HLC switch.
 

ano

Senior Member
Better than nothing, I guess.
 
It looks like the new "Omni PIM-R Adapter (OPA)" is not something you can buy, but ships free "to dealers" when they buy the PCS PIM. Hopefully a dealer will post the wiring diagram for this adapter.
 
Top