Possible thru serial connection?

drvnbysound said:
DB-9 directly to the serial connection on the M1G board?

I'm using that port for the XEP. Any idea if what you are doing is possible via an XSP?
I forgot the names of the modules. However, I just use the serial port on the M1 and I hook it directly to my computer. I'm not sure what XSP is

v1rtu0s1ty said:
I forgot the names of the modules. However, I just use the serial port on the M1 and I hook it directly to my computer. I'm not sure what XSP is

Gotcha. The XEP is the Ethernet module (for remote access) - this plugs directly into the DB9 on the M1.

The XSP is an add-on serial port (via databus).

drvnbysound said:
Gotcha. The XEP is the Ethernet module (for remote access) - this plugs directly into the DB9 on the M1.

The XSP is an add-on serial port (via databus).
The reason why I'm doing this is because I can't afford to buy the Ethernet module. So I'm going to take advantage of my old computer which will run linux. I'll build a NodeJS application programming interface so it can accept HTTP request. I will parse the request, massage the string, calculate the checksum, then finally send the ELK command via serial connection. This is for the backend. Now for the frontend, I can use any application but for this one, I'll use AngularJS.

v1rtu0s1ty said:
The reason why I'm doing this is because I can't afford to buy the Ethernet module. So I'm going to take advantage of my old computer which will run linux. I'll build a NodeJS application programming interface so it can accept HTTP request. I will parse the request, massage the string, calculate the checksum, then finally send the ELK command via serial connection. This is for the backend. Now for the frontend, I can use any application but for this one, I'll use AngularJS.

Understood. I was thinking about ways to tie in even with the Ethernet module. Potentially using something like a RPi to utilize the API and turn things on/off or do whatever.

drvnbysound said:
Understood. I was thinking about ways to tie in even with the Ethernet module. Potentially using something like a RPi to utilize the API and turn things on/off or do whatever.
Yup, that should work. I actually just bought a beaglebone. I had a $30 amazon gift card from last Christmas that I just remembered this evening. I'll use it as the gateway instead of my old dirty computer :D I'm very excited!

drvnbysound said:

You won't see the packets to/from the M1 using an XSP on the databus. 
They are only on serial port 0, the onboard port.

You could try using a vampire serial cable.  I did that to monitor what was going on when RP was connected.  Sending might work, but usually isn't a good idea.

Anything you can do over the serial port you can do with the XEP.
Why the need for both XEP and serial control?  (if that's what you're saying)

sda said:
You won't see the packets to/from the M1 using an XSP on the databus. 
They are only on serial port 0, the onboard port.

You could try using a vampire serial cable.  I did that to monitor what was going on when RP was connected.  Sending might work, but usually isn't a good idea.

Anything you can do over the serial port you can do with the XEP.
Why the need for both XEP and serial control?  (if that's what you're saying)

This thread was as far as I've ever really looked into doing this at all...  OP stated that he was connected directly; I stated that I have the XEP, so can't connect that way myself.

Seeing that I have the XEP and you say that I could do the same via the network connection, then there would be no reason to do otherwise.... just get an RPi or other on the same network and bang some code.

Back