UPB Swithes for Bathroom Update

That's a great idea! Use of inline modules was mentioned earlier but I did not put it all together such that I could use a US2-40 with appropriate faceplate and some UFDs and a UFR. Too bad I do not save much cost with that method but I do save some of my effort. And, because I do not have funds for all the hardware now near Christmas time, I could make sure that neutral is in box and use the 3 switch in one gang for the next month or two.

Now, to be sure that this would work right, I could use a 8 button faceplate with a US2-40 with load connected to most used light (ceiling). Button 1 would then control load (or Link 241) and the remaining buttons could be used to control UFDs and the UFR (for the fan)? Does UPStart support a double-click for the button to deactivate the link when using the 8 button faceplate?

yes, one of the button modes in UPStart is Mult-button, one click activates a link, a double-click deactivates a link

Sounds like you might want to consider the 4 rocker faceplate for the us240 in the bathroom, unless you have a use for the extra buttons?

I was thinking that extra buttons could allow single click activation of both a light and fan, etc. But on second thought, it might be confusing so four rocker seems the way to go.

So, I need a US 2-40, four rocker faceplace, two UFD30s, and a UFR30 for this application. Unless AutomateOutlet can make me a good deal :) I will need to wait until after Christmas for this as I want to get an XBOX 360 which will allow MCE access as well as providing gaming for kids.

Meanwhile, I will make sure that I have a neutral at the box so that the US 2-40 (when it is installed) has correct LED for the main load which will be the ceiling light.

Thanks

Jim, Your idea to do combinations links is a good idea, if each rocker controls each load through a link, it will require a pause between touches of the rockers as the US240 will need to have time to send a link. This effect is being discussed in another thread somewhere. You might try rockers for each load/link and maybe one rocker for a combo that you will use most often.
Dave

With 3 loads and 4 rockers you could have one rocker for each load and one rocker left over. That could be your "Master Control". It could send one link to control them all and in the darkness bind them, err sorry. I've thought of this for a similiar setup in my living room.

Just as another thought, if you have a most used light, like the ceiling, you may want to consider the half rocker with 4 buttons. Setup the rocker to control the main light (more intuitive to use and dim) and the buttons for the other stuff (or simply the quad rocker as mentioned).

Something to consider about button assignments, is that since you only need a 4 rocker facplate, you may want to leave the factory defaults assigned. You already will have a 3.3 second fade on rate, a double tap will "snap" the lights to 100% and you can hold the rocker to slowly dim up or down and it will hold that dimming level when you release the rocker...Very handy to have for that 2 am bathroom visit!

Just be sure that your rocker for the motor UFR has dimming disabled. Oh yeah the US2-40 has about 16 different assignments for each rocker so be careful not to select the wrong one if you start to customize, it can cause you some gremlins (don't ask me how I know this).

Hmmm... 2AM bathroom visit. Maybe one button will be a link that has light come on at 20%. I'll probably forget and use the daytime button though.

Hmmm... 2AM bathroom visit. Maybe one button will be a link that has light come on at 20%.

Hmmmm.... I would put that link on a button at the bedside to light the way to the bathroom and light the bathroom

Another great idea!

However, bedside is still X10 (wife and I each have an alarm clock X10 controller) so I will have to use an HS plug-in I wrote that receives X10 and converts to UPB command. I will eventually need to use a hardware solution because the process of pressing X10 button and UPB light reacting is a little over 3 seconds. Fine for this bathroom application.

OK. Just ordered all the UPB stuff from AutomatedOutlet. Should be able to complete the project this weekend.

Thanks for the help.

Back