What happened to UPB!?!?

I prefer lighting systems that use established wiring methods and work even when the central system fails.

Lights should always work, scenes and automation are a convenience.

So I used ALC before, rock solid and fast but a pain to hook up.

Now we're building a new house and committed to UPB. It seems like an ideal solution, time will tell.

I been trying to buy some UPB devices (specifically UFD-30’s) but my local supplier (Aartech, as I’m in Canada) can’t get them.  So I phoned Simply-Automated but their voice mailbox was full.  Then I found them at SmartHome Products, who accepted my online order, sent me a e-receipt but never charged my card or shipped the products.  Successive emails to their sales department have gone unanswered.

Years ago when I selected UPB I decided to buy spares (I have about 60 devices installed).  Fortunately I’ve never had a failure (except for 1 or 2 that I mis-wired), so I use my spares for expansion.  I have a Web Mountain RUC-02 for the occasional remote access, and its great.

Anyway, I haven’t given up on UPB, I just wish there was a definitive statement from these companies about their states of affairs.

Btw ... for me the strength of UPB is its autonomous operation.  Having to give verbal or mobile app commands seems narrow to me.  I use UPB scenes so that my house wiring works the way everyone expects (not just the app users).  For example; my basement lights go on individually as the user requires but when exiting the switch on the stairs turns all the basement lights off.  Very convenient.

Sorry for the rant, but it’s time for UPB to rise again!!!!!

Thank you.

Try Web Mountain.  Their main website is pretty awful.  But the store isn't too bad:  http://digitalavnew.mybigcommerce.com/

Terry Bolinger from there has been really helpful in reigniting the driver development with Home Assistant and has been very active with the UPB forum topic.  Seems they are still very committed to UPB.  That's probably where I'll go when I need more.  Which will be vary soon.

You can all celebrate. When HASS 110 drops this week. It will have UPB. No need to install your own driver or do some hacky things. All built in to the core. Thanks to some very hard work from Gwww.

Good news relating to HA and UPB!

Still tinkering a bunch with configuration.yaml file...

Today added version to sensors.

- platform: version

In case anyone is interested, I have 3 UPB new-in-box dimmers for sale in the classified section... price is somewhat negotiable.

I have not tested the HA to UPB stuff yet as my old hot spare is an SA to USB device (not serial) which will not work.  Currently using the other SA and HAI UPB controllers.  So looking for another spare here.  The RDP W2016 server Upstart connects to two dedicated UPB controllers (one in attic and one in the middle of the house).

Amazon carries a few UPB items from Simply Automated and PCS.  I replaced a 3-speed Simply Automated fan controller. It worked many years but failed. Then I had a short in an LED fixture wire I was installing an access point, and THOUGHT it was the SA switch. So replaced it with another and somehow the insulation on the load got grounded. That thing turned into a fireball in a second. VERY scary. Those things are very flammable. Luckily had another spare and that worked. But SA switches are a PAIN, because I need to turn OFF my repeater to program them. 

Check HomeControls.com for UPB - They've been around forever - I've been using them since around 2000.  I heard not too long ago that the main guy at Simply Automated died and another family member took over and moved the company to Arizona - so there was some changing in staff and problems migrating their phones and all that.

That said, I sold my house with UPB and I wouldn't look back - I still say it was one of the better protocols, but they failed to keep up with the rest of the market.  I'd never consider putting them in a new house for 3 reasons; 1) no bridge to modern technologies; 2) not only uncertain future, they seem to be drying up in general, and 3) zero professional support should you sell the house one day.  RadioRA2 isn't as flexible, but it's easy to hire an electrician when I sell the house to do whatever the future homeowner wishes - and it won't be a DIY solution - it'll look like a high-end professional lighting system.

Work2Play said:
That said, I sold my house with UPB and I wouldn't look back - I still say it was one of the better protocols, but they failed to keep up with the rest of the market.  I'd never consider putting them in a new house for 3 reasons; 1) no bridge to modern technologies;

FYI, PCS sells the Pulseworx Gateway that is intended for interfacing UPB to other systems. I know nothing about it though.

Work2Play said:
1) no bridge to modern technologies; 2) not only uncertain future, they seem to be drying up in general, and 3) zero professional support should you sell the house one day.  

1- I don't know about that. It integrates great for me and my system has some AI functions so I'd say it's very modern.
2- Don't know about this but being that multiple companies make it, probably not?
3- There must be some professional installers. Maybe they are very few though. I've never ventured into that.

Edit: I'm actually surprised how little attention UPB gets. Baffles me because the features and reliability are great IMHO.

I switched (no pun intended) to UPB years ago. The PCS products, in my opinion, are the best physically and electronically. I added a Homeseer Zee recently to give me voice control over the Omni. The Homeseer is more geared toward Zwave and it's integrated into the Zee2 so I've been playing with it some. I think I will use some Zwave products in locations where I need an inexpensive switch, receptacle or wireless sensor. Most Zwave is cheaper than the PCS UPB products and as someone mentioned above, UPB links are totally boss. Yeah, UPB may be more expensive but it just works, and works, and works...

ASIHome said:
With the latest version of UpStart from PCS, you can program PCS devices as HLC devices as well as converting PCS devices to HLC devices. PCS is also selling a dimmer and keypad that are directly HLC compatible.

How do I do this with Upstart?  Also if If I reprogram my HLC devices as PCS devices can I still use my HAI PIM?  I have about 15 HAI UPB switches and looking for more.

So reprogramming non-HAI/Leviton switches is something you could have always done with UPStart, but it involved manually programming special links as required by HCL.  The new features in UPStart just automates this process. The OMNI Pro II will do this as well, but I believe it just verifies that the switch is an HAL/Leviton before it programs it. I won't program other switches.  So there is really nothing different between HAI switches and non-HAI switches, but the OMNI panel treats them different more for marketing purposes than technical issues.  HAI just wanted you to buy their switches. 

So if HAI switches aren't configured by the OMNI panel, they are the same as any other UPB switch. UPStart can make any kind of switch into whatever you need. PIM also makes no difference with a minor exception. Simply Automated ONLY makes Ver 1 switches, and SOME SA PIMs can only program Ver 1 switches, but newer ones can program any version. Still, you might want to stay away from SA PIMs. HAI or PCS, no problem. 

Back