2-wire smoke detectors

I specify each light individually. Wierd that the "on" command pretty much works. Its the "off" command that doesnt seem to work.

Example.....

When my front door becomes unsecure and its dark outside I tell my entrance light to come on for 5 mins. The light comes on but rarely turns off.

When a motion in my Laundry room is tripped I tell my lights to come on for 1 min 30 seconds. They always come on but rarely turn off (they work for a few times then dont work for days etc as far as turning off).

Ah, understood. I saw issues where if I turned on the light by the front door, it would not necesarily turn off the linked device by the garage. This is not your situation tho.

Hmm, that part is supposed to be 'verified' I thought.

Digger said:
You might want to contact ELK to see if the reversing relay is compatible with the M1.
I think you may be on to something (or the 2W-MOD2), it has been 3 days without a false alarm. I got a false the night I put in the 2W-MOD2 and additional detector, and then another one two days later I think.

I did not change the wiring (and it was not a long leg, maybe 15') nor the detector.

The way it is setup now is I'm on the 2-wire zone (16) versus a regular one (as the 2W-MOD2 uses 4 wire to the panel, but supports 2 wire detectors.

I have a feeling I am going to have no false alarms until I add the other pieces back in.

It has been 4 days without an issue. I suspect you were right questioning the accessories. I know there seemed to be some issue getting the RRS-MOD to work alone (which I think Steve had the same issues I originally had as well with just the reversing relay).

I am going to continue with my other items for now, but I suspect when I come back to this and reintroduce those items I will be able to reproduce the false alarms. I'll also follow up with Elk tech support, they may already be aware of this. The detectors are compatible, nothing says the accessories are (or maybe it is something I did on that part of the installation).

Well it has been almost a week and a half and the detectors have been working without issue. Since it was later determined that the Elk does support the cleanme signal of these detectors, I'm guessing something throws off the elk or sends a false signal (since this item is not needed, other than perhaps to do a walk test at most or check the wiring).

I'm considering this issue solved (and am glad it was not the detector or wiring, although I now have a $50 paperweight).

I do plan on returning to the reversing relay once I get some other items closed and will post my results there. Oh, and before I do I'll try and confirm it is compatible first....

Back