Automation Studio - Lessons Learned (title edited)

Desert_AIP

I have started playing with AS in preparation for adding two 5.7e touchscreens.
I am trying to get my layout set while I have some time on my hands.
Unfortunately I can't connect my laptop with AS to the internet right now so I can't update beyond the version I am using.
And I can't connect to my controller to run the simulator, I thought I should be able to do it offline.
I'm running version 1.0.2.87 and see some weird behavior.

I looked on HAIs developer site and in the knowledge base but can't find the current version release notes for AS just PCAccess.

I can't change the format of any clock. I can select and save a different format but it doesn't change on screen.

The Security panel keypad is blank and I don't see an area in the general settings for the screen to add images for the number buttons.
Even if I add a new one.

I can import screens from the template that do have the security button images, but it is imported as an image so I can't do anything with it.

When I add a container and right click there is no "Edit" option available (read about that command on the HAI Forum).

I looked in the image file folders and the fire, police, etc icons are not in there. The Button Bar images are in there.

When I want an Object to be transparent, I have to select true, then navigate to another page and back for it to actually appear transparent on the screen.

Also I see menu items but when I search for them there is nothing in the help file explaining them.

So I'm wondering if it is a software version problem, or I'm just not doing something right.
I followed Worthignton's advice and started with a template rather than a blank.
This is really frustrating not being able to update the software.

Thanks

OK. Some movement forward.
I reinstalled 1.0.0.1 from CD, then reinstalled the 1.0.2.87 version in theDownloads folder.

I now have the System Files area in the home screen Properties tab. So I can change those icons.
I now have the "Edit" option on the Containers.

Making progress.

Still can't change the appearance of any clock.

The only way I can see a Security panel is to drop a container on a page, edit it then drop a security panel in the container and close it.

I can't see the Security panel when the container is open, only an outline. I can resize the security panel inside the container, but I can't edit any of the icons inside, make them transparent, adjust their spacing or layout, etc. When I resize the security panel it only reveals more or less of the button layout. If I make it too small it cuts off some of the images. I can make the security panel transparent, but not the individual elements.

This is really frustrating me. Is it even possible to change the security panel layout?
I've seen screen shots of other people's work, and the icons are at least transparent, so I'm thinking something is still wrong here.

I notice that the other panels refer to a second page, the Target Name - Control to Control2.panel, Cameras to Cameras2.panel.
I see those second pages in the list. What is that relationship? Is that where the layout takes place? The help file (HAI needs better software docs) appears to indicate the second panel is the layout target, but I don't understand how it works. I don't see a Security2 page.

The Worthington online training mentioned being able to resize graphics that are within a container, that doesn't appear to work.

It seems in the object lists, even when I refer to the Omni setup file to list Lighting loads or other items, nothing shows up in the lists.
Does this only happen when it's connected to the controller?

Finally a few questions - is there any way to display the value of a flag or just it's ON/OFF status?

Can you display times (Sunset/Sunrise)?

How do you get access to the User Settings to change them? I see them listed under the object list, but I don't see how to adjust them. I can send an Omni command to set a user setting to a specific value, but I don't see how to type in a time for instance, or add +1 hour.

Thanks

Well I got the simulator running.

It appears that once the simulator runs, a lot of the formatting takes place.
The clocks resize and reformat to their specified type, and the security panel is visible.

Since I am doing all this stand alone and don't currently have access to the internet or my controller, it has been a learning experience.
I'm wondering if the layout is easier when there is a controller connected. I do have my PCAccess machine and did import the config file. I assume that when I connect the simulator to the controller it will populate things like the zone lists, etc.
It seems odd that you can't adjust the layout of several objects without running the simulator.
You can't even view them.

I still don't see how to drop and edit things like load control panels and thermostat control panels.
I may just build new ones. I do see how those commands can be sent.

WRT my question about flags above, when I run the simulator and display the status of a flag, I assumed it to be ON or OFF. But the value displayed is 0. So that leads me to conclude that the value of the flags can be displayed. I would love conformation on this question. Since it's not connected to a controller that may just be a placeholder, but again I assumed it would be OFF in the default state.

The Security Panel is driving me to drink. After several hours of playing with it I figured out how it formats itself and what icons are the keystones.
Very frustrating not being able to open it like a container and modify the individual elements. Also frustratng not being able to separately format the zones list and controls behind the keypad. That one actually takes up more space than the keypad. Also changing the text color in either the panel settings or the security panel settings has no effect. It's always white. I think I might write up some details, because this piece of documentation is sorely missing.

I still do not see how to modify User Settings. I see you can list them in a panel, I see you can give a button a specific Omni command "Set user setting Bedtime to 5:00AM" as a hard coded command. But I don't see how to type in 5:00AM and save it. The OmniTouch video shows that ocurring, so I believe it can be done. Again, maybe because I am not connected?

I would like to figure out how to display the system times, sunrise and sunset. Any ideas with that one would be appreciated.

I'd post some of my initial designs, but I can't access my Photobucket account from this URL.

It appears this thread is now becoming more of a Automation Studio Blog... ;)

A moment of clarity.

I re-watched the Worthington training (good stuff) and I think I had a conceptual breakthrough.

The list links to the panel. But the panel IS blank until the type of object (light, zone, setting, etc.) is selected and the panel page jumped to.
THEN the panel renders in real time according to the type of object selected.

So a light selected renders the load control panel, a user setting selected renders the setting modificaton panel, etc.
A HA!

I think most of my confusion stems from doing this all off-line and not having the controller available. It appears AS uses the config file to set things up, but needs the actual controller to render the information. That is why my lists are blank and my panels don't render.

I would still like to be able to modify the appearance of the individual panels. Since they use many of the same buttons, they are not completely customizeable, only in general appearance. But the button spacing may not work well with some layouts, and is not configurable as far as I can tell.

I also would like the objects such as the clock to dynamically resize in the layout view without running the simulator. The short time clock takes up significantly less real estate than the date and time default, but adjusting the layout is difficult until the object resizes.

A list of which icons affect which panels in the help file would also provide significant assistance to the end user.

I believe it is possible to create custom load and thermostat control layouts, maybe zone control as well in stand alone pages. But not that user settings one. The only issue ultimately may be one of memory space. Is there a documented limit for space on a 5.7e somewhere?

So my only outstanding question, for the time being, is displaying flag values rather than states. I have a rainfall counter and would like to display "Rain: 4in" rather than "Rain: ON". :)

Back