eKeypad Plus

Mike P

Hi,

Has anybody tried this new iPhone app? I installed it today and I can not figure out how to use it. The install looks fine, When I run the app, I get a message that I need to input the ip address, port, user code. I was expecting that, But for the life of me I can't figure out how and where to input the information. :angry: Any sugestions would be great. :p

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

I just sent you and email, but in case anyone else finds this post with the same question about eKeypad Plus I will post the same information here.

The settings for both eKeypad applications are currently located under the iPhone settings panel.

The FAQ entry for eKeypad is here.

This FAQ entry for eKeypad Plus is here.

--
Jayson

Hi,

Has anybody tried this new iPhone app? I installed it today and I can not figure out how to use it. The install looks fine, When I run the app, I get a message that I need to input the ip address, port, user code. I was expecting that, But for the life of me I can't figure out how and where to input the information. :angry: Any sugestions would be great. :p

Thanks,

Mike

Keep up the good work Jayson, with some more time and listening to the user, this should turn out to be a great product. With the third option right around the corner, I think I will wait and put the money into that one.

Thanks,

Fusion

Well, I don't have an iPhone so I am not a potential customer at least at this time, but I do have an opinion :p I have to agree 100% with Todd on this one. Any good company (no matter how big or small) has to have an upgrade path. It can be as simple as pay the difference between the two or three products. If someone buys plus for $45 now and Pro comes out in 3 months for say $100, then simply charge a $55 upgrade fee. It's not right to make people wait for a better version or penalize them for being an early adopter. As an example, look at Adobe. They have many levels of CS4. If I buy say Web Standard and then want to upgrade to Premium or Master, I can. I don't have to throw away my existing investment in Standard and buy Premium. Maybe you are planning to do this, but that has not been clear so far.

Hey Jason, I just looked at the roadmap, and I like where the pro version is going. My biggest question is, do you and/or Apple have any provision for a trial version of the software? I currently don't have an iPhone or iPod Touch, and might consider getting one for this express purpose, but before I go that far, I would want to borrow one of my friend's phones and perhaps put a trial version of the software for demo purposes before pulling the trigger.

Also, how customizable is it? Specifically, with regards to IR control, will I be able to put buttons in any layout I choose and assign each button a specific IR code or macro?

Honestly, I'm more excited about this than HSTouch so far, so keep up the good work.

Adam

Adam,

Unfortunately Apple does not currently provide a mechanism for trial versions of the application.
I wish, I had more options in this area myself. I have already sent requests to Apple concerning trail versions and upgrades.

To be clear about upgrades...the eKeypad family consists of 3 different applications. Each application has a different goal and feature set designed for the needs of different Elk users. Each of these applications once purchased will receive free upgrades for that application. What is not currently supported by the app store is the ability to provide discounts if you want to purchase a different application.

The design for the IR support is in its infancy. As you have begun to touch on, IR is VERY complex. You should expect to see almost all of the other features on the current roadmap before you see IR. My current prototypes do contain configurable screens similar to what you describe, but IR learning and configuration are a huge mountain to climb. IR still has some work ahead.

--
Jayson

Jayson,

The way to provide a trial version is to make a stripped down version of the app and put it out for free... obviously you'd need to cripple it enough that someone couldn't get away with using that and never paying but perhaps something basic people can play with. I know I've even seen an app before on the app-store that you could download for free then had to pay to unlock it later - not sure how that worked or if it was any sort of violation of the rules... I'm going to have to go check out the dev center and see if there's any comments on this type of thing.

As for the fact that there's 3 versions - each one seems like it's an upgrade of the prior ones - meaning it looks like Pro is literally just Plus with additional features - I wouldn't really consider that a separate app. your roadmap/feature chart kinda spells it out - each one seems to have the features of the next one down, with additional things specific to that version.

Yes. deploying a free app what is un-locked later is WAY against the rules. I believe the developer you are thinking about got his ability to deploy apps revoked by Apple.

--
Jayson

Jayson,

The way to provide a trial version is to make a stripped down version of the app and put it out for free... obviously you'd need to cripple it enough that someone couldn't get away with using that and never paying but perhaps something basic people can play with. I know I've even seen an app before on the app-store that you could download for free then had to pay to unlock it later - not sure how that worked or if it was any sort of violation of the rules... I'm going to have to go check out the dev center and see if there's any comments on this type of thing.

As for the fact that there's 3 versions - each one seems like it's an upgrade of the prior ones - meaning it looks like Pro is literally just Plus with additional features - I wouldn't really consider that a separate app. your roadmap/feature chart kinda spells it out - each one seems to have the features of the next one down, with additional things specific to that version.

Yes. deploying a free app what is un-locked later is WAY against the rules. I believe the developer you are thinking about got his ability to deploy apps revoked by Apple.

--
Jayson

Not exactly, many apps do this, check out mocha telnet lite and mocha telnet. The trick is that Apple won't accept "demos" or "Trialware" which is a judgement call by them, but basically if you make a free "lite" version it must be a fully functional app with no nag screens or timeouts, but it can just have less features than the pay app.

Of course with eKeyPad the problem is you couldn't strip much more out for a free version, perhaps once you implement a zone status list, the 9.99 version can have this and a free version wouldn't , honestly if it where me looking at the free full featured h@me for HAI systems I would consider giving away eKeyPad for free and only charge for ekeypad+.

Back