Gosund WiFi dimmer replacing firmware

Thanks to all, I was able to make things work well with your instructions.

Where I am blocked, is when I have to configure my MQTT channels.

Via the Tasmota's console I could find the stat/tasmota1234/POWER and the stat/tasmota1234/RESULT topics, but I am looking for the command topics to control dimming and on/off from MQTT to the switch... Anybody can help?

Manually dim / brighten the lamp connected to the switch and watch the console and/or MQTT explorer.

Test the command in MQTT explorer publish.

For my combo Tasmota - Tuya - treatfan light dimming it is:

cmd/treatfandev3/dimmer 40 in the console.

You can publish MQTT typing in

treatfandev3/cmd/dimmer 50

TreatFanDev3/cmd/dimmer 10

The light should dim and the console will show:

23:34:23 MQT: TreatFanDev3/RESULT = {"POWER2":"ON","Dimmer":10}

So I got everything flashed with the scripting bin. Loaded the template and script from blakadder. The switch powers on however clicking the button or turning on the switch in the UI doesn't switch the relay. It says its on, but it isn't. I have version 4.0 according to the board.

Welcome to the Cocoontech forum @pbouna321

Other folks have posted issues with currently sold Gosund dimmer.

I purchased my dimmers around July, 2020.

I do have one box here that has one unused dimmer in it.

The dimmer firmware was updated but I never installed it.

I have not had any issues with the dimmers installed and running with Tasmota.  I don't pay attention anymore.

There are no markings on the dimmer relating to original firmware.

There is a sticker on the box with a bar code on it with the label: X002AVDP9B 

What is the bar code on your dimmer box?

pete_c said:
Welcome to the Cocoontech forum @pbouna321

Other folks have posted issues with currently sold Gosund dimmer.

I purchased my dimmers around July, 2020.

I do have one box here that has one unused dimmer in it.

The dimmer firmware was updated but I never installed it.

I have not had any issues with the dimmers installed and running with Tasmota.  I don't pay attention anymore.

There are no markings on the dimmer relating to original firmware.

There is a sticker on the box with a bar code on it with the label: X002AVDP9B 

What is the bar code on your dimmer box?

So the manufacture date code on mine was November 2020 and version 4.0. I loaded the Tasmota_v9.0.0.3_GS1.2 file, and was able to get some response however the touch panel still didn't respond and they would not switch back on after an off command. Strange part is that if I adjusted the dimmer slider, and gave the off command again the lights would switch on but the UI would still show them as off.

I ordered some Martin Jerry in the meantime as they seem more straight forward. I was hopeful these Gosunds would of worked for me as I have a lot of other Gosund switches and bulbs around the house.

Here is the info from the Tasmota build on it.

Where is the MFG date code on it?  Is it on the board?  

Program Version 9.0.0.3(tasmota)
Build Date & Time 2020-11-05T01:14:14
Core/SDK Version 2_7_4_5/2.2.2-dev(38a443e)
Uptime 139T05:09:56
Flash write Count 448 at 0xF4000
Boot Count 6
Restart Reason Software/System restart
Friendly Name 1 Tasmota_Dimmer1

pete_c said:
Here is the info from the Tasmota build on it.

Where is the MFG date code on it?  Is it on the board?  

Program Version 9.0.0.3(tasmota)
Build Date & Time 2020-11-05T01:14:14
Core/SDK Version 2_7_4_5/2.2.2-dev(38a443e)
Uptime 139T05:09:56
Flash write Count 448 at 0xF4000
Boot Count 6
Restart Reason Software/System restart
Friendly Name 1 Tasmota_Dimmer1

Yes it was on the board. I threw in the towel and went with the Martin Jerry SD01. Flashing was much easier, only have to soldier one point and the rest have holes for breadboard jumpers. It worked right away after flash and setting the DimmerRange for my lights dialed everything in to perfect. 

pbouna321 said:
So I got everything flashed with the scripting bin. Loaded the template and script from blakadder. The switch powers on however clicking the button or turning on the switch in the UI doesn't switch the relay. It says its on, but it isn't. I have version 4.0 according to the board.

I will say to double check that you have used the correct template for your physical switch.  The template is basically a map of the 16 or so outputs that these wifi chips have. If the template isn't correct, or if you never loaded on and are trying to use the "generic" template (you have to make sure you turn the template "on" in the software - simply loading it in the software doesn't turn it on), then it's likely none of the buttons will work.  It sure sounds like the software on the switch is turning an output on the switch switch on and off, but without the correct template, it isn't actually turning the correct output on and off.  That's why the software seems to be working correctly, but the physical switch isn't working as expected.

It's also possible that the hardware has changed since the template was last updated - effectively making the current template useless. There are several Youtube videos that will walk you through how to set up a template from scratch. I would try to find one of those and follow it to correctly map the template to the hardware you have.

Took a picture of the ESP chip.  Here originally opened it to look see but using OTA never had to JTAG it. 

It does have soldering pads (RX, TX, Ground, 3.3VDC, GPIO 0) for manually JTAGing device if you cannot use OTA. 

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1434]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1433]

Hi everyone! This thread has been fantastic and helpful to me, but I'm still a LITTLE stuck.

I flashed my Gosund switches sometime last year; it was my first time then. I had a BUNCH of issues but got help and worked through them. Now I want to try this 9.0.0.3 v1.2 version and see if it helps, but I keep getting the error "upload buffer miscompare." I vaguely remember this issue from last year. It has to do with the compression of the upload file.

The various Tasmota versions are now compressed, so they're .bin.gz, but when I download from https://github.com/gbg108/Tasmota/releases/tag/v9.0.0.3_GS1.2 I get a .bin file. I don't remember how I got around this last year though! I tried downloading the other files provided at that link, and I get a .zip or a .tar.gz. I tried using gzip in my mac's terminal to zip the .bin file, but still got the buffer miscompare error.

How do I get a file for 9.0.0.3 v1.2 that the Tasmota GUI will let me load from file? (.bin.gz) Or is there an OTA link that works? I'll take anything! Thanks!!

Ok, I got everything going with this firmware (wasnt using compressed, why is the importance of that not written everywhere all the time!?) on two switches, and randomly one ended up reset, broadcasting its internal WiFi. I connected and re-configured it for my wireless network, but when it rebooted after that it never came up on my network or broadcasting its own again.

Previously Ive been able to reset these switches by holding the button on the front for 40 seconds, but thats not doing anything now. The light is also not able to switch on/off in its current condo (or before, when it was broadcasting its own WiFi).

How do you reset this switch? Is it difference with the different Tasmota firmware linked to through this thread?

Thanks!

Welcome to the Cocoontech Forum polycat33.

As Tasmota firmware in general has evolved the size of the OS has grown a bit.  With that initially it was suggested to first install a core image which was small then the standard image or variant of said image.  Later then the Tasmota firmware upgrade allowed for GZ compression.  This is just in general relating to Tamota.

Newer programs now like Tasmotizer are offered for Windows, Linux and iOS.  Works great these days.  It is not an OTA type of software rather it is a JTAG type of software.  Using this software you can wipe or erase the old firmware and write new firmware on a device.

Resetting a switch is still the same methodology.  Personally I would have to say that the firmware you have installed got corrupted.

I'm having issues with the SW2 as well.  Date code 04/21.  I flashed the development version of tasmota-scripting using Tasmotizer, configured the template and pasted in the script.  There is no response from the capacitive touch.  The switch will not turn on.  The log shows an the error "var not found: Dimmer"  I'm at a loss.  I've flashed two of them with the exact result.

Try this with no script...

Try to update with base Tasmota compressed == > tasmota basic bin gz file or tasmota minimal then

update with tasmota_v9.0.0.3_GS1.2.bin

I am still using this one though the switch was purchased in 2020.

Back