Homeseer 2.0 Ready for Release?

All kinds of poor decisions can arise out of the need for money.

No matter what you think of the released version, I think it all boils down to this:
HST needs a lot of $39 upgrades THIS MONTH.

I believe that was the reason for raising the upgrade price to $99, the reason for the 30 day window, the reason for the possibly premature release.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious . . .

I hope I don't get beat up about this,but.... I downloaded and installed 2.0..... I just don't get it?! Other than a nicer looking front end , what is it that I "Need" HS 2.0 for??? Other than needing to (re) purchase the few plugins I use, what is the big (or any) advantage of it above a very stable version of HS 1.7???
I do have a fairly simple setup so maybe that is why I don't see the need.

Gemini said:
I hope I don't get beat up about this,
First off, we don't "beat up" anyone here (well, except for Skibum, but that's because we know he can take it ;) )! Seriously, we let everyone (especially Skibum) express their opinions here! These types of threads bring up the technical issues that merit concern and are worthy of our membership’s repertoire of knowledge. Of course we would like the pro's and con's of the conversation to be civilized, which they always are. ;)

I'll let the experts give the detailed differences between HS 1.7 and 2.0 but basically it is written in a .NET language. This way it is multithreading as well as more adaptable for future applications. It should also be faster.

There are other new features as well such as remote speaker/sound applications and a new web interface.

Many people have beta tested this software and could also give you first hand knowledge of their experience.

I think we have all seen threads like this on other forums. hardware. software, consumer electronics....

This is fueled by passion. I personally think everyone's views on this HST 2.0 thing is spot on and healthy. It is based on their (our, my ) own situation and experience. It shows that we care about the product., the people who create it and the people who use it.

It's a beautiful thing!

OK, continue the discussion.

My interest in HS2.0 is from highest to lowest priority:
1) HS2 is the future, 1.6/7 is dead. No more plugins / scripts for prior versions.
2) Multithreading. I hated when a script ran that everything else came to a halt. This now works great. I have changed some of my stuff to take out workarounds done in the past due to single thread.
2.5) everything runs crisper. I have a 2.8ghz server so 1.7 was ok, but with hyperthreading HS2.0 rocks.
3) Speaker.exe per PC - If one were to look back at some of my very first Homeseer posts, one of the first interests was to do voice recognition on my wireless XPTablet and have Homeseer on the server react. Various complicated possible solutions were posted that involved DCOM, another HS instance, etc. Now, this is out of the box capability. I also love to be able to redirect speech where I want it, when I want it.
4) The web runtime looks a bit better than the original. I still use some HS webscreens within Cinemar WebLobby.

Downsides: sorry, don't like the web setup screens compared to the HS GUI. The webscreens are of marginal benefit to me as I use MainLobby as my HA user front end.

1.6/7 is dead. No more plugins / scripts for prior versions

Why does everyone keep saying this. What's keeping me from developing a HS 1.7 plugin? Just because they stated they are not going to keep supporting 1.7 doesn't mean it will not run? My 1.7 install has been humming along for months. Heck I think there may be a good market for 1.7 plugins for a while. Another nice thing is plugins can be written in VB to run on both platforms easily.

Do some of you think that HS is in financial trouble?

1.6 / 7 plugins dead:
That is what I fully expect.
People will be moving over to 2.0 in the next few months (I predict).
It won't make fiscal sense for a plugin author to develop for non 2.0.
I am sure many plugin authors will be legacying their 1.7 code and adding all new functionality in 2.0 only. Too hard to test on both.
All .net based plugins will ONLY run on HS2.0 - I have read several folks already doing this.
HST has already stated they are only supporting HS2 from now on.

There is nothing keeping a plugin author from writing 1.6/7 plugins. I just think it will go away fairly soon. Much faster than Win98 support has been dropped.

I don't know if they are in financial trouble or not but it sure seems that they are trying to raise money. Besides the push to release 2.0 (to generate incom) I received this e-mail today

Hello and thank you for upgrading to HomeSeer v2.0!

We hope you enjoy the new version and look forward to having you 'onboard' with HomeSeer for many more years to come.

In appreciation for your (very) quick response, we'd like to throw one more offer your way. If you've been toying with the idea of adding telephone features to your HomeSeer system but haven't had the time or money to do so, here's a great opportunity for you. From now through September 15th, you can purchase one of our HomeSeer PCI modems (with HomeSeer Phone software) for just $79.95! This is the same combination that normally sells for $149.90.

In addition, we'd like to offer the HomeSeer voices (Kate & Paul) for just $24.95; a savings of $10 off our reg price. These are concatenated speech voices and sound much better than the sythesized voices normally bundled with HomeSeer.

Rupp said:
Do some of you think that HS is in financial trouble?
I would not say they are in trouble, but I believe there are new financial pressures. More employees and all this development costs a lot. It's not just the standard software that is delayed, but HomeSeer-Pro also requires HS2. I bet HST's business plan demands that they start shipping hardware out to installers. That's where the revenue is.

There not much to making a plugin work for both versions. I have been working on upgrading HSTV to work with HS 2.
The only differences that I have ran into is in the making of events.
So I just add this.
Code:
If InterfaceVersion > 2 Then
  s = hs.AddAction(ev.evref, 5, runbefore & " " & strScrBefore)
Else
  ev.speak_before_script = runbefore & " " & strScrBefore
End if

I have HS 1.7 running on my home automation server and HS 2 running on my developement server so I can test with both.

OK, here is my humble, unsolicited, and probably unwanted opinion.
I’m not really that upset about the bugs that are still being found. Most of the HS users work in some tech related field and surely we all expect and can deal with some bugs. Especially since we all know that Rich and company will do everything they can to fix them and make us all happy. We know this because we have been through the bug fix process with HST many times over. As someone pointed out, HS is almost in a permanent beta state anyway.
I’m not that upset that 2.0 went from a beta to a release version overnight without a real user acceptance test on the final beta. That is nothing that I haven’t experienced before and to be honest the software shop that I work for has done the same thing when faced with tight deadlines and heavy pressures. To me, it is just semantics anyway. A large group of HS users has been whining and begging and nagging HST for this product for the better part of a year and those who weren’t posting about wanting the product to play with were all thinking it and anxiously waiting for the new version. Judging from some of the posts in any of several threads over on the HS forum these folks would have taken 2.0 in almost any state just to get their hands on it and be able to play sooner.
I’m not upset that they are charging 39 bucks for the upgrade, or 99 bucks for that matter. HA is like any other addiction; I’ll find the money somewhere.
No, what gets me, is that you have a large group of long time, loyal users who keep a vital support forum active (a forum which is advertised as the primary avenue of software support by the way). You have users who have spent their time and sometimes even money to support and promote this product and who will bend over backwards to help other HS users and in doing that, help HST. And you have users who may not have the savvy to answer every (or any) question but have been around a while and have seen the growing pains and defended HST when others start to get annoyed with it all.
I can’t speak for the rest of these users but I for one feel betrayed, lied to and a little like they think I’m an idiot or at least easily fooled. HST has been saying almost since day one that the upgrade would cost around 39 bucks. They never said that would be a limited time only price either. So when they come out and say that they are going to be nice to us and let us buy the 99 dollar upgrade for only 39 dollars if we do so in the next 30 days I too had the WTF reaction. It kind of felt like I got hit with a bucket of cold ‘we only love you for your money’ water. It would have been totally different if they had been saying 99 dollars for the upgrade all along. Don’t misunderstand me, I’ll buy it because I like HS and I don’t want to be left in the dust as HS moves to newer, bigger and better things. Just, please, don’t insult me by acting like you are doing me a favor by offering me this special deal.
Some food for thought: Imagine what this thread would be like if HST had said, ‘We know we have been saying that the upgrade will cost 39 dollars but because we love you, for the next 30 days, our existing customers can upgrade for 16 dollars.’
Would anyone be complaining about the time limit or the fact that the software is not perfect yet?

BTW, I too got the same "early HS2 adopter" discount for voices and HSPhone. I already had Voices, but that offer is timely for me as I was going to look at HSPhone PCI modem anyway, and this offer put me over the edge and I bought it. Would I have bought it anyway? Probably, but maybe not this month. And, I would have tried my current modem first, which probably would have exhausted a few night trying before giving up.

So, the offer was appreciated by me, and they are $80 richer. Can't wait for UPS...

hhnew ,
The problem is they simply "announced" too early both about when the beta would be ready and the cost of the upgrade. Nearly a year later they had to somehow get the beta out and inject a price increase. So they offered it "early" under the old price increase and later with the "year late" price increase. After it is all said and done we will have forgotten and it won't change a thing. A new version number on a new platform with new versions rolling in every few days/weeks.

Back