Input needed for house wiring, please.

I thought the reason for the 18/4 was because the keypad is part of the fire alarm and as a "life safety" device needs to be connected to the panel with red fire wire to meet most code requirements.

The NEC doesn't list FLPR (Fire rated) wire for use in low voltage applications such as security systems. When I purchased my wire they were out of white and asked if they could substitute the red. I said "fine, I don't care what color it is"

Not good. The wire was rated FLPR, not CL2 or Cl3. The electrical inspector failed my installation and told me to replace the ~7000 of FLPR with a CL2 or CL3 rated cable.

Oddly enough, for residential, it's ok to use the CL2/CL3 wire for your smokes (including the crappy cable from home depot), but don't use the really nice FLPR cable for you security system.....

Brian

Yikes. I'm using firewire only for my smoke alarm runs. I was going to use regular 22/4, but got a too-good-too-pass deal from CollinR, and decided "why not?". Now you give me a reason why not.... it'd be a pain to replace the firewire if I had to, but it's less than 300 ft total, probably.

Yikes. I'm using firewire only for my smoke alarm runs. I was going to use regular 22/4, but got a too-good-too-pass deal from CollinR, and decided "why not?". Now you give me a reason why not.... it'd be a pain to replace the firewire if I had to, but it's less than 300 ft total, probably.

It's fine to use for your smokes.

Brian

Hi guys,

I have a few questions:

Also is there any quality loss when say tramitting HDMI via cat5e/baluns?
What length HDMI run are you considering? I ended up using fiber optic for a 100 foot run and works great, but very expensive. Was not comfortable with the cat5e/balun solution.

Hi guys,

I have a few questions:

What length HDMI run are you considering? I ended up using fiber optic for a 100 foot run and works great, but very expensive. Was not comfortable with the cat5e/balun solution.

How are you converting from the FO to HDMI? It sounds interesting for long runs.

Hi guys,

I have a few questions:

How are you converting from the FO to HDMI? It sounds interesting for long runs.

Here is what I used:
http://www.digitalconnection.com/products/cables/hdm.asp
Digital connections has been great to work with, one cable failed after 9 months and was exchanged quickly for a new one.

DJK

Here is what I used:
http://www.digitalconnection.com/products/cables/hdm.asp
Digital connections has been great to work with, one cable failed after 9 months and was exchanged quickly for a new one.

DJK

Holy crap! You were not kidding when you said it was expensive. For my two main runs to the family room and game room, I would be looking at over $1,200! Nice looking stuff, but it's a bit too expensive for me.

Thanks for posting it though. It's always great to see what is available.

Very expensive. Imagine my general's surprise at the expense when he got to buy me a new one after his worker drove five nails through the first one.

My original installer (read: never to be invited back) promised me the three HDMI cables he installed would work at 100'. I learned that the HDMI over fiber is the only reliable answer for any equipment at > 65 feet. My next house will carefully place an HTPC and Receiver close to every TV or projector location.

I learned that the HDMI over fiber is the only reliable answer for any equipment at > 65 feet. My next house will carefully place an HTPC and Receiver close to every TV or projector location.

A multiplicity of HTPCs will hopefully not be needed soon enough. The SageTV HDExtender has HDMI out, and although their entire first run was sold out in 1 week, they'll be getting more in Feb.

I was encouraged by the faithful here to consider HDMI runs along with everything else, but the expense as well as the fixed length of runs made me decide against it. The 3 Cat5e's with every TV run are the future insurance, and if it REALLY becomes necessary, I have no concerns about getting in the attic and running new wires. I'd rather wait on HDMI stuff until I see the need and can afford the solution.

Back