Ipod touch question.

I am familiar with many forms of electronics and have a lot of the latest things. I have a Russound cav6.6, I use Casatunes on my computer to help out with running my Russound and the meta data etc. I would like a little help though. I am not familiar with the ipod touch and how I could incorporate it into my system and helping me to run my Russound. Could anyone be so kind to give me a little help on what it does exactly. Thanks.

The best solution is probably to look at the Russound iBridge Dock. It is an iPod dock that hooks directly into the Cav6.6. It gives you metadata and control of the iPod from any of the Russound keypad locations. Basically, it allows you to use the iPod as a regular source with the Russound - with metadata being communicated.

ibridge_image.jpg

EDIT - after re-reading your post, I guess you are actually asking how you can use your iPod as a wireless remote to control your system. In that case, you need some sort of control software that would run on your computer and allow you to control the songs being played. I personally use CQC automation sysem and it could provide this, but it is overkill for what you want to do.

Perhaps a less expensive or free software choice is available. I'll check around. But be warned, with this type of solution, you may only be able to control the music playing off the computer. It might not allow fll RNet control if you have other sources. It just depends on how rebust the software system is.

Perhaps Girder Professional from Promixis can do what you are looking for. It is certainly much less expensive than CQC.

I am familiar with many forms of electronics and have a lot of the latest things. I have a Russound cav6.6, I use Casatunes on my computer to help out with running my Russound and the meta data etc. I would like a little help though. I am not familiar with the ipod touch and how I could incorporate it into my system and helping me to run my Russound. Could anyone be so kind to give me a little help on what it does exactly. Thanks.

I did a Itunes search for Russound and the only app that was listed was a CasaTunes app, it looks like it gives you coverart/metadata on the ipod touch and zone control. I would suggest you download and install iTunes and then search the store for Russound and you will see how it looks.

eKeypad was supposed to have audio system support at some point. I would check that out and see if it's implemented yet, and if it will work for you.

HomeSeer has a Russound plugin and an iPod Touch/iPhone app that can integrate the 2 together if your interested.

Will this only work with the iPhone? or will it also work with the iPod touch? I don't have an iPhone.
Will what work with the iTouch? Which post are you referencing? Most apps that run on an iPhone work on an iTouch. It's the ones that need 3g connectivity that obviously do not work on the iTouch like the GPS apps.

Will what work with the iTouch? Which post are you referencing? Most apps that run on an iPhone work on an iTouch. It's the ones that need 3g connectivity that obviously do not work on the iTouch like the GPS apps.

I'm pretty sure there are no "3G" only apps - maybe ones that work better with 3G b/c of speed such as viewing streaming videos. The reason GPS apps dont work on the iTouch is because it doesnt have GPS built-in. IIRC the iTouch is identical to the iPhone minus the following features: GPS, Camera, Cellular Transceiver. That said, for apps that need "network connectivity" the iPhone can do from anywhere being it has cell coverage (see AT&T map ;) ) whereas the iTouch has to be within a WiFi zone.

I'm pretty sure there are no "3G" only apps - maybe ones that work better with 3G b/c of speed such as viewing streaming videos. The reason GPS apps dont work on the iTouch is because it doesnt have GPS built-in. IIRC the iTouch is identical to the iPhone minus the following features: GPS, Camera, Cellular Transceiver. That said, for apps that need "network connectivity" the iPhone can do from anywhere being it has cell coverage (see AT&T map ;) ) whereas the iTouch has to be within a WiFi zone.

Yes, there are some 3G only apps and many for the iPhone only. The iPhone has a mic whereby the iPod Touch does not although the newer ones do support an external mic. (The earlier ones do not.) The earlier iPods also do not have Bluetooth, and no iPod Touches have a camera.

While the iPod Touch does not have a GPS chip, that does not mean its not location aware. An iPod Touch can get its location in most cases if it has a Wi-Fi connection. I use Google maps and other location-aware applications on the Touch without problems.

Yes, there are some 3G only apps and many for the iPhone only. The iPhone has a mic whereby the iPod Touch does not although the newer ones do support an external mic. (The earlier ones do not.) The earlier iPods also do not have Bluetooth, and no iPod Touches have a camera.

While the iPod Touch does not have a GPS chip, that does not mean its not location aware. An iPod Touch can get its location in most cases if it has a Wi-Fi connection. I use Google maps and other location-aware applications on the Touch without problems.

Sorry - I was only comparing current iTouch vs. iPhone so I didnt think to mention anything about the mic, since current iTouch models support external mics, and didnt really see where that fit into HA/control applications.

Nonetheless, I dont want to get this thread off-topic so I dont want to ask for specific examples, but what types of apps are specific to 3G? I know there are apps that are pretty useless on a iTouch that incorporate GPS - such as some of the "remember where you parked" type apps. There generally isnt open WiFi in the most parking lots Im familiar to and would not give you good enough resolution for such app even if there was.

Since you already have CasaTunes to control your Russound all you need to do is go to Casatunes Website and download the latest version of Casatunes software on our server. Then download CasaTunes app on your iTouch. The iTouch does have to be on the same wireless network your server is on. Find the ip address of your server and put this in the settings of the Casatunes app on your iTouch and you will be able to control your Russound system via your iTouch.

This is FREE if you own CasaTunes!!!

Thank you,
CasaTunes

Back