Noob question about OmniPro events and outdoor motion detectors

2MuchTech

I'm getting ready to start new construction and I think I'm leaning toward HAI OmniPro as my security system and automation controller. I would like to have some outdoor flood lights that are activated by wall switches inside the house, but I also want to have motion detectors turn them on (indirectly). If I use separate motion detectors (i.e. not integrated into the flood lights) connected to the OmniPro as an alarm input, can the OmniPro monitor the motion detectors and run scripts when something triggers them, regardless of whether the alarm system is armed? If so, I'm thinking I can use zwave or UPB wall switches to control the lights, so either the wall switch being pressed or the OmniPro system could turn on or off the floods. I just need to make sure the OmniPro can monitor motion detectors 24/7 regardless of whether or not the alarm is in an armed state. Doing it this way (as opposed to having the motion detector directly turn on the lights) should allow me to do things such as wait for 2 different motion detectors to trigger within some predetermined period of time before turning on any lights, correct? I welcome advice from anyone who has already set up floods this way. Thx!

I have that exact setup.
It's been in service for three years and working well.
When I turn them on manually, the motions are bypassed so they won't shut the lights off when they reset.
I also have a routine to monitor the motion detectors for multiple activations.
If its windy and the trees keep tripping the motions, they will shut down for a period of time if they are tripped too many consecutive times in a short period.

We have used the Optex line for decades.
I use the LX-402 model for outdoor residential.

Rokonet Watchout on some difficult situations, though still not perfect.

Desert_AIP - what brand/technology motion sensor do you use ?

I couldn't really find an outdoor motion sensor I liked, so I kludged together a system from motion sensor lights from Lowes (I can't remember the brand off the top of my head).

The lights themselves were inexpensive. I liked the look of the bulb "fairings" and the motion sensor had 230° view plus a dual element bottom sensor, adjustable sensitivity and built in photo cell so they don't trip during the daytime. I don't use the sensors for other automation tasks, so I didn't need them to oeprate during the daytime. They take 120Watt bulbs, which I can dim on and off to extend the life of the filaments.

I didn't like the face plate for the lights, so I remounted them in a white outdoor electrical box.
I took out the motion sensors and mounted them separately to get the best vantage point. I have the lights on the eaves of the second story, but the motion sensors are down near the first floor roof line or on the wall at a similar height.
When the sensor senses motion it sends 120VAC (originally to power the lights directly) and is wired to power up a standard wall outlet.
I plugged a 5VDC wall wart into the wall outlet.
The 5VDC feeds into one of the input channels of a Simply Automated Input/Output module.
So the wall wart is only on when there is motion (because the outlet it's plugged into is only powered up when the motion sensor is active).
The IO module sends the UPB commands for the lights. When it senses 5VDC it sends an ON, when it loses the 5VDC it sends an OFF. This all takes place independently on the UPB network.
So this takes some of the demand off the Omni since it doesn't have to process the motion sensors.

I have several banks of lights around the house, each acts independently. Some of the banks operate from more than one motion sensor. I also have an 'All Security Lights" link to turn them all on or off.

I also have the 5VDC wired through an Omni controlled relay on the NC side.
So under normal circumstances when the 5VDC comes on, the signal can reach the IO module and send the UPB ON command.

The Omni monitors the UPB traffic, and keeps track of the number of on and off signals for each bank of lights.
It starts a timer after receiving the first ON command. If it receives 5 ON commands before the timer shuts off, then it turns on the relay, breaking the 5VDC signal, and removing the ability of the motion sensor to activate the lights for a couple of hours.

It also looks for the manual on link.
If the manual on link is sent, the Omni turns on the relay and removes the motion sensor ability to turn the lights off.
When the manual off signal is sent, everything returns to normal.

The wiring was fairly straight forward. The IO modules each take three inputs. They alo have two output relays that I originally used to interrupt the 5VDC via UPB commands. I found the Omni operating the relay is a bit more reliable, so I switched to that method.

Back