Time Warner Cable...NC..Port Blocking

dxp178

Greetings all...

I'm just getting started in the Home Automation arena and I'm trying to get as much as I can setup before I truly dive into the wonderful world of HA.

One of the items which I am extremely interested in is the ability to view my home and the status of my system from anywhere in the world over the internet.

One of the first steps I wanted to take was to see if I could set up a webserver on my current computer so I could confirm my ability to access my computer from work.

Unfortuantely I can not seem to see my computer and I've ran a plethora of Port Scanners on my machine and each time I was unable to see an open port. I was wondering if anyone else has ran into the problem with Time Warner Cable (Raleigh/Durham). I do believe they are blocking ports but I wanted confirmation of this before I investigate other ISPs. If I do switch, I'll probablys witch to Embarq...so if anyone else has a problem with Embarq, I'd like to know that as well.

As for the rest of you, is there anyway to get around this issue without changing ISPs?

Thanks
D.

I can't run anything on port 80 to the outside world (Cox Cable). Try using something like 3000's or 4000's for port numbers.

I had Time Warner in NY a few years back. It was hosted by TWC, but I bought it through Earthlink (not sure if that makes a difference). This must be four years ago, but hope this helps.

It might be that when it is done through Earthlink they remove the port blocking. Again, may not be current anymore. I would bet you can call them and ask (no reason for them not to tell you). The nice part is you know who you would get (as they did have a relationship with TWC and it is really TWC service).

The other way to get around that is to buy a service that routes it for you. TZO had one (it was an add on to dynamic dns). Adds cost but something to be aware of if you really want it to work.

http://www.tzo.com/MainPageServices/Produc...rdTZORelay.html

Dave,

I'm on Time Warner Cable in Cary and I access HomeSeer (port 80) regularly without any problems from where I work near RDU.
I think I did have to open the port on my router, but it wasn't a Time Warner issue.

Scott

Dave,

I'm on Time Warner Cable in Cary and I access HomeSeer (port 80) regularly without any problems from where I work near RDU.
I think I did have to open the port on my router, but it wasn't a Time Warner issue.

Scott

Thanks for the responses all...

Scott, that really does help. I'll have to see what else I can do.

The wife is going away for a couple of days so I can dig into it full blown this week. I'm hoping I'm just overlooking some setting on my router or my firewall.

Thanks
Dave

80 and 21 are probably the only ports blocked.

If you have a firewall (most firewalls away) on your network it will appear all ports are blocked, until you open one.

If you buy a commercial connection then you'll usually get a static IP and no port blocking.

Thanks all for the help. I think I put the chicken before the egg on this one. Thanks for the link, BraveSirRobbin, that helped a great deal!

For future people searching this thread...you need to forward the port, then install a webserver and then check to see if it is open. If you try to see if it is open before doing all of that you will either get a response of the port being in Stealth mode or being Closed.

Rookie issue but I atleast now I know that I can move forward with my plans to rule the world...ok I just plan on installing a webserver and monitoring service!

Thanks again for the support all!!!

Back