marvell plug computer

i googled for it. i saw someone had installed hamachi on the dock, so i thought i could use it as an offsite storage nas. i installed samba to test it out & found out like you did that smbpasswd wasn't in the usual packages.

Well, I still thank you for sharing!

As for hamachi...why not just use SFTP?

--Dan

for remote backup?

I guess I don't understand why samba wouldn't just allow for a networked access to this?

(just trying to understand your reasoning, so I can alter my plans if necessary)

--Dan

On my "non" NAS setups which utilize Samba; IE: the NMT's I get kind of slow transfer rates never going much above 5Mb/s. It took "days" to copy close to 1TB of MM to the NMT's. (350 Gb of HD's included in the mix) The NDAS drive (another small little marvel) is much quicker than the NMT's with Samba running. I had similiar speeds using plan old FTP to the NMTs.

Along similiar lines for FL and because I don't have the space in the MM do all closet was thinking of both making the Dockstar an all in one 1-wire weather station plus a mini storage device. I have two panels in the small closet and I might have enough room in one of the two panels for the Dockstar.

yeah, I'm not too hung up on the protocol I use. FTP, SMB, SFTP. Whatever is fastest. I was starting with SMB, as it would let me quickly verify the RAID partition.

Once I know the partition is good, I can go to whatever. Depending on WHAT I am backing up, and how, I can do SFTP/FTP. For ease of backing up, SMB is the way to go. Best part is, after the "main" thumbdrive (on the Dockstar) is totally backed up, I can save it off in an image, and store that with a spare Dockstar (I have 3). Just in case. However, because it is software raid, I should be able to just setup a new box (any box) with Linux and plug all the hard drives in. My assumption is some small configuring and bing, all my data comes back (unlike when a controller card goes down).

But hey, for this price...just having a spare hacked dockstar will suit me (just in case jeff changes his webpage and I can't get the uboot any longer, I'm going to setup all 3 for the dual booting, then set 1 aside for a spare).

--Dan

for remote backup?

I guess I don't understand why samba wouldn't just allow for a networked access to this?

(just trying to understand your reasoning, so I can alter my plans if necessary)

--Dan

samba works fine for network access on a lan. i want to put one at our other house for remote backup without having to have a server running or tunneling a bunch of ports through ssh.

Gotcha, thanks!

For the "remote" access, I was thinking of doing crashplan. I.e. I'd setup my "second" unit with a 2TB drive, stick it at my parents house. Then, once a week, I'd dump a whole bunch of stuff (works kind of like rsync) to the unit. --long term goal

They didn't like my "cobbling" together an OLD PC with loads of drives...so, I thought I'd try this to see if they would mind a little 3W box instead.

Best part is, with crashplan, I could dump the ENTIRE backup set through USB, it would just be "addons" or changes that need to get backed up over the web.

--Dan

i looked into crashplan and they recommend 1GB+ of ram. i didn't go much further than that. i use cobian backup for daily incremental backups and was hoping to use it for remote backups as well. (that way i don't have to have recreate my backup set with another s/w pkg)

During lunch I remoted into my dockstar's terminal and messed around. damage, apparently that was the ticket! I have been able to sucessfully get through the tutorial I was working with. I SHOULD be able to connect to the dockstar from a Windows machine...to gain access to the SMB share.

When I get home, I'll have to test this out.

Also, looking at how the SSH worked on that...I might turn off the SSH server on my...well...server and use the dockstar as my SSH server. I've never wanted to have the main server be my SSH server...just in case I needed to reboot it or something...always seemed kind of dumb, as I'd loose my SSH connection...what if something didn't load properly? Then I wouldn't have ANY chance of being able to get into the network remotely.

So, to have something like this is pretty NEAT!

--Dan

Today I have an SSH tunnel setup on the DD-WRT router in FL. I use it all of the time for access and it works well. (the FIOS combo router/switch there is really kind of a non entity other than a great connection).

At work I utilized both SSH / some port manupulations such that I always had access to my home network being pretty non invasive to the infrastructure in place and my peers which managed the firewalls.

Heres a short overview:

SSH Tunneling

Pete, thanks for the tips!

I had been using SSH on my server for a long time. I've contemplated going over to VPN...but I just find OpenSSH suites my needs.

The main point of my rant was I never liked that the SSH server was the same as my server, but it was the only box that I had that had enough smarts and was on all the time.

With this, I'll be running SSH anyhow, even if it's just to terminal into the box. However, I might end up using RSYNC (as crashplan won't work...as damage pointed out). I just don't know at this point. I really want to have some sort of remote storage for the most important stuff, as you are aware of what happened to my file server...I just don't want to fall into that again.

The other thing I've contemplated is using port knocking...well, it took me 6 months, but I figure out how to dynamically open and close ports (through script) in the Windows firewall...then I switched to Win7. Doesn't seem to work the same (or I have some security thing wrong).

At any rate, with this box running linux, I can now use the port knocking servers that are out there!! My only concern regarding this is, I think there is a way to detect if the port is there using a malformed call to the port. I.e. the port responds...I'll have to see if this is still worth my time to try...however, like I said, this would / could really work! Hide all my ports except the HS one (I just like using that as a single click...and I pushed it up over 9000 so I'm playing the odds on that one, since it's such a high value...). It SHOULDN'T as the Firewall is SUPPOSED to prevent it from having ANY response (i.e. what is called a stealth port). Right now, I think all my ports, except the SSH port and Homeseer port act stealth...but I think 1/2 of the open ports would response to a Stealth Scan using the NMAP Security Scanner.

Thanks for both of your tips and pointers! I think it has saved me about 1-2 weeks worth of effort on this thing so far!!

--Dan

my ssh server is my linksys nslu2 and i use it for tunneling everything from rdp sessions to streaming from my squeezeserver. i also have one at our other house and had used ssh to link the houses together, but whenever an isp on either end went down, the ssh connection died & had to be manually restarted. i ended up linking the houses together by having them IM each other - it's simple, lightweight, encrypted & comes back up when the internet does. that was one reason i started trying out hamachi and it too re-establishes its connection when the internet is restored. another is that our 2nd home now has "free" community fiber (subsidized by HOA dues), but i don't have a public ip address to which i can use a dynamic dns service (nor can i poke holes in the firewall), so i can't ssh to it.

my ssh server is my linksys nslu2 and i use it for tunneling everything from rdp sessions to streaming from my squeezeserver. i also have one at our other house and had used ssh to link the houses together, but whenever an isp on either end went down, the ssh connection died & had to be manually restarted. i ended up linking the houses together by having them IM each other - it's simple, lightweight, encrypted & comes back up when the internet does. that was one reason i started trying out hamachi and it too re-establishes its connection when the internet is restored. another is that our 2nd home now has "free" community fiber (subsidized by HOA dues), but i don't have a public ip address to which i can use a dynamic dns service (nor can i poke holes in the firewall), so i can't ssh to it.

Maybe not TO it, but if it tunneled to your other house, you could link back through that route?? I guess using what you are talking about would do the same...

Hmm...that's a tough turkey to cook!

--Dan

Back