NQ Link - Android App for OmniPro II

Anthony A.

So looks like the lack of reply and all the negative reviews on the "new" app that there is no intention to fix the broken app. Its strange that a few weeks after the last app "update" it breaks again. Too much coincidence me thinks. Wouldnt be surprised if it was coded this way to force the new ransom app. There were no google updates on my phone when it started crashing so take that as face value.

@LQtechvn obviously based on feedback here and your product reviews no one is happy. Are you willing to fix this app or alternatively willing to support it for $10/yr for your original customers?

Douglas

I too am a long-time purchased "pro" user, and just discovered all of this last night. I use the app maybe once a month, either when I'm outside (to turn on lighting) or just too lazy to get up off the couch(!). The app worked well, now it crashes when I simply try and select a thermostat.

Judging from the lack of complaints on this forum (why aren't there 50 people complaining? Ok, why not even 20 people complaining?), it looks like the app isn't in high demand. I'm sure app revenue is slim to none.

At the same time, we do have to recognize that as Android OS versions progress, the app will need some attention to keep it functioning. I think a reasonable annual donation would be understood by most users, say $20. We, as users, have to hope there are enough $20 donations to make it worth it to the developer for his effort; or the app will simply die.

I would like to see the developer's thoughts/response to all of this. I enjoyed the app, it worked well - and I thank him for that.

CFW

Well, I see there was another automatic update of my Omni Pro II app. I paid my the new and requires subscription fee of $1.99 to give it a try hopefully to get some functionality back. I am now on Version 4.4.8.

While some things are back to being functional I am still having issues with lighting controls. Some work some don't. 

I also tried my button function to turn on my window candles, and the app crashes.

I need to run with 4.4.8 for a day or so, but I still wish I had my old version back. I ran the app for over 2 years without a single problem until the having to pay for the app update downloaded and everything went FUBAR.

I'm OK with the $1.99 a month if the app works like is used to, but I'm not sure if I will continue if he bugs are not fixed.

CFW

I did some more testing and it appears things are working again. My version still shows 4.4.8 but the button function now works as do the lighting points I tested.
The security control and thermostats are also OK

Folks,

I'm a little confused as I'm a long-time user of PRO, and never upgraded past 4.4.3.  It's was working great until yesterday. 

If I have it set not to automatically upgrade, why would it stop working?

Is LQtechvn sabotaging his longtime PRO One Time Payment Users so they'd be forced over to the subscription base? 

This is the second time he's done this!

What are the other options?

Regards,
CenterScape

cavnet58

I paid $36.99 for the pro version 24 March 2018 and have not been able to roll back or re-install a working version.   I uninstalled it for several weeks and tried installing again today.   It's still requiring a monthly fee even though GooglePay shows I purchased it in 2018.

LQtechvn, please respond how to correct this.

xlurkr

There was an update on Jan 20, to 4.5.  Anyone install this yet?  The notes say to install before Jan 31 to "keep current special price".  I'm an original purchaser with no subscription, and I'm confused as to whether 4.5 will require me to subscribe, or if he turned that off, and will turn it back on for downloads after Feb. 1.  Though I may not have a choice, since my current version (4.3.4) is buggy.

-Tom

xlurkr

Also, not sure what the author meant when he posted this a few pages ago:

I decided return one time paid version to user without subscription requirement and the version 4.6 is last update version fix bugs report by users. 

-Tom

handy2sum

Just found this string / discussion...  how do I get the app to work again without paying for a subscription for EACH device (eg phone & tablet)?   This is crazy.  Purchased the app years ago and it worked great.  Now worthless.  I understand the need for some support to keep the app updated & fix bugs so decided to bit the bullet and subscribe only to find  out that the pricing seems t o cover only a single device!!  It should be per user not device (I can only use one device at a time).  May have been willing to pay $22 annual fee but not for each device.

Is there a way to get back to previous version that I purchased??

Desert_AIP

Anyone have an apk link?

xlurkr said:
Also, not sure what the author meant when he posted this a few pages ago:

I decided return one time paid version to user without subscription requirement and the version 4.6 is last update version fix bugs report by users. 

-Tom

sawadee2

It is so disappointing how the NQLink app has been handled. I purchased every version available just to support this person.
No good deed goes unpunished. 
So glad I have Home Assistant and OmniLinkBridge to replace this broken app.
So disappointing.

plofstof

HI everyone.  I have good news. 
Like most of you I have been super frustrated when I realised that the NQLink app is not available anymore.  And like many of you I have also been trying to support the developer historically.

After the app disappeared I reached out to the developer and despite some difficult language barriers I was able to determine that Google has banned the developer from the Play Store. I have no idea why, nor am I interested, but presumably he violated some of Google's Ts&Cs. The developer briefly attempted to open a new account but Google detected this and deleted this, too. He sent me the attached screenshot of a mail he received from Google - in the mail Google basically indicated to him that he will never be allowed back into the store.

The subscription options, be it monthly or annually, have also disappeared and so anyone using the app right now will be forced to use the death-by-watching-diamond-collecting-ads that he had built into the app.

In any event, over the past two weeks I negotiated a deal with the developer through which I purchased the source code of the app from him. I know that the OmniPro community is probably waning in size, but to my mind the NQLink app is one of the best apps out there and using native apps like Snaplink is just not an option. Having access to source code is crucial, as future updates to Android my render any current APK incompatible.

I have now obtained the source code and confirmed that the source code I purchased is functional and complete. In the next few days I will be working towards publishing an updated "under new management" version of the app on the Play Store.

My primary purpose here is to allow users like myself and others on this forum to continue using the app. I will keep you posted on new developments in the near future.  Now that I have the source code I will be able to make sure the app remains compatible with future releases and Android updates etc.

Please also let me know if there are more appropriate forums where OmniPro II users tend to discuss, so that I can spread awareness more widely.

I only just registered on cocoontech to join this discussion.  It will probably take me 7 to 14 days to deal with all of Google's security requirements. 
They need to check that I am a real person and they need to run some security checks on the code before it can be made available in the Play Store.  All of this takes a bit of time but we'll get there soon enough.  I will keep everyone posted here.

myyaz33

This is wonderful news.  Thank you for taking such a step to make something like this happen. Looking forward to see what happens.  

bdAZ

Amazing!
A thought: would you consider open sourcing it? I'm be more than willing to pay some money towards the cost for you to recoup your initial investment.

If you released it to Github there are a number of developers in this community who together could improve this app as a community for years to come. Thoughts?