NQ Link - Android App for OmniPro II

I paid $36.99 for the pro version 24 March 2018 and have not been able to roll back or re-install a working version.   I uninstalled it for several weeks and tried installing again today.   It's still requiring a monthly fee even though GooglePay shows I purchased it in 2018.

LQtechvn, please respond how to correct this.

There was an update on Jan 20, to 4.5.  Anyone install this yet?  The notes say to install before Jan 31 to "keep current special price".  I'm an original purchaser with no subscription, and I'm confused as to whether 4.5 will require me to subscribe, or if he turned that off, and will turn it back on for downloads after Feb. 1.  Though I may not have a choice, since my current version (4.3.4) is buggy.

-Tom

Also, not sure what the author meant when he posted this a few pages ago:

I decided return one time paid version to user without subscription requirement and the version 4.6 is last update version fix bugs report by users. 

-Tom

Just found this string / discussion...  how do I get the app to work again without paying for a subscription for EACH device (eg phone & tablet)?   This is crazy.  Purchased the app years ago and it worked great.  Now worthless.  I understand the need for some support to keep the app updated & fix bugs so decided to bit the bullet and subscribe only to find  out that the pricing seems t o cover only a single device!!  It should be per user not device (I can only use one device at a time).  May have been willing to pay $22 annual fee but not for each device.

Is there a way to get back to previous version that I purchased??

Anyone have an apk link?

xlurkr said:
Also, not sure what the author meant when he posted this a few pages ago:

I decided return one time paid version to user without subscription requirement and the version 4.6 is last update version fix bugs report by users. 

-Tom

It is so disappointing how the NQLink app has been handled. I purchased every version available just to support this person.
No good deed goes unpunished. 
So glad I have Home Assistant and OmniLinkBridge to replace this broken app.
So disappointing.

HI everyone.  I have good news. 
Like most of you I have been super frustrated when I realised that the NQLink app is not available anymore.  And like many of you I have also been trying to support the developer historically.

After the app disappeared I reached out to the developer and despite some difficult language barriers I was able to determine that Google has banned the developer from the Play Store. I have no idea why, nor am I interested, but presumably he violated some of Google's Ts&Cs. The developer briefly attempted to open a new account but Google detected this and deleted this, too. He sent me the attached screenshot of a mail he received from Google - in the mail Google basically indicated to him that he will never be allowed back into the store.

The subscription options, be it monthly or annually, have also disappeared and so anyone using the app right now will be forced to use the death-by-watching-diamond-collecting-ads that he had built into the app.

In any event, over the past two weeks I negotiated a deal with the developer through which I purchased the source code of the app from him. I know that the OmniPro community is probably waning in size, but to my mind the NQLink app is one of the best apps out there and using native apps like Snaplink is just not an option. Having access to source code is crucial, as future updates to Android my render any current APK incompatible.

I have now obtained the source code and confirmed that the source code I purchased is functional and complete. In the next few days I will be working towards publishing an updated "under new management" version of the app on the Play Store.

My primary purpose here is to allow users like myself and others on this forum to continue using the app. I will keep you posted on new developments in the near future.  Now that I have the source code I will be able to make sure the app remains compatible with future releases and Android updates etc.

Please also let me know if there are more appropriate forums where OmniPro II users tend to discuss, so that I can spread awareness more widely.

I only just registered on cocoontech to join this discussion.  It will probably take me 7 to 14 days to deal with all of Google's security requirements. 
They need to check that I am a real person and they need to run some security checks on the code before it can be made available in the Play Store.  All of this takes a bit of time but we'll get there soon enough.  I will keep everyone posted here.

This is wonderful news.  Thank you for taking such a step to make something like this happen. Looking forward to see what happens.  

Amazing!
A thought: would you consider open sourcing it? I'm be more than willing to pay some money towards the cost for you to recoup your initial investment.

If you released it to Github there are a number of developers in this community who together could improve this app as a community for years to come. Thoughts?

bdAZ said:
Amazing!
A thought: would you consider open sourcing it? I'm be more than willing to pay some money towards the cost for you to recoup your initial investment.

If you released it to Github there are a number of developers in this community who together could improve this app as a community for years to come. Thoughts?

Apologies for my irregular posts but since I only recently registered here on cocoontech my post rate is still being throttled by the forums :)

This is an interesting question.  In principle I would support the idea of open sourcing, I am a believer in the power of open source.

At the same time I must find a way to recoup the money I spent. He drove a hard bargain, and I assumed considerable risk when I made the PayPal transfer... Some nervous moments wondering whether he would take the money and run :)
(and he did actually insist on changing the terms of our deal mid-stream, which required some delicate negotiation to get out of). I was planning to charge a subscription equal to or less than what he used to charge to help me recoup the funds. 

The other factor to work through is the Play Store security audits, which must keep a single developer account accountable even if multiple devs are working on it.

I think I will make this statement:  if I can somehow at least recover what I paid the developer, and if enough devs in the community show interest and willingness and capacity to assist with further development of the app, I would be happy to start an open source effort on git. 
Simply put, what I need to avoid is a situation where I expose the source code and cannot recoup the money I paid, only to find out that no one is interested in putting in the hard yards to assist with the development.

Can I ask that people interested in contributing either financially or in terms of development effort respond here or DM me so that I can get a sense?

plofstof said:
HI everyone.  I have good news. 
Like most of you I have been super frustrated when I realised that the NQLink app is not available anymore.  And like many of you I have also been trying to support the developer historically.

After the app disappeared I reached out to the developer and despite some difficult language barriers I was able to determine that Google has banned the developer from the Play Store. I have no idea why, nor am I interested, but presumably he violated some of Google's Ts&Cs. The developer briefly attempted to open a new account but Google detected this and deleted this, too. He sent me the attached screenshot of a mail he received from Google - in the mail Google basically indicated to him that he will never be allowed back into the store.

The subscription options, be it monthly or annually, have also disappeared and so anyone using the app right now will be forced to use the death-by-watching-diamond-collecting-ads that he had built into the app.

In any event, over the past two weeks I negotiated a deal with the developer through which I purchased the source code of the app from him. I know that the OmniPro community is probably waning in size, but to my mind the NQLink app is one of the best apps out there and using native apps like Snaplink is just not an option. Having access to source code is crucial, as future updates to Android my render any current APK incompatible.

I have now obtained the source code and confirmed that the source code I purchased is functional and complete. In the next few days I will be working towards publishing an updated "under new management" version of the app on the Play Store.

My primary purpose here is to allow users like myself and others on this forum to continue using the app. I will keep you posted on new developments in the near future.  Now that I have the source code I will be able to make sure the app remains compatible with future releases and Android updates etc.

Please also let me know if there are more appropriate forums where OmniPro II users tend to discuss, so that I can spread awareness more widely.

I only just registered on cocoontech to join this discussion.  It will probably take me 7 to 14 days to deal with all of Google's security requirements. 
They need to check that I am a real person and they need to run some security checks on the code before it can be made available in the Play Store.  All of this takes a bit of time but we'll get there soon enough.  I will keep everyone posted here.

He most likely got kicked out of the PlayStore from all the formal "Bait-and-Switch" complaints Google received about him!
I was one of the suckers that paid the App Purchase Fee, and two months later, he locked me out of his program by switching it to subscription based.    
After all the people that paid for the app complained, I notice Google shut him down, then he surfaced under another name.  Looks like Google took a while to figure out it was the same scammer.
Since you're a newbie, how do we know your not him?
I would never trust his app again!

Just my personal opinion....

centerscape said:
Since you're a newbie, how do we know your not him?
I would never trust his app again!

Just my personal opinion....
How do you know I'm not him?  Hehe.  That is a question I never anticipated but it is a fair question I guess.  Let's see.  For one I can speak English and he can't.  If you ever mailed him you'll know what I mean.  I never knew about the active OmniPro community here on the cocoontech forum, in the past I have been most active on Homeseer forums where the OmniPro plugin is discussed (that forum directed me here, in fact).  But other than hosting a zoom session and allowing people to look me in the eyes I don't know how to prove my identity I guess trust must be earned over time. 

I also fell victim to the same bait-and-switch.  Actually, I have been subscribing on an annual basis and then more recently he cancelled my annual subscription mid-term in what appeared to be an attempt to push up the price.  Which would have resulted in me losing six months' worth of upfront-paid subscription time.  Talk about greedy, he could not even wait until the next subscription renewal date.  That may be why he was banned.  But I can only speculate.

Like all of you I have become reliant on the app, which is excellent, and like all of you I became super frustrated with the behaviour of the developer, which is dodgy and inexcusable. And so I decided to try and do something about it. I took considerable risk when I transferred the cash to purchase the source code, but fortunately he did honor the transaction and I have managed to get the code to compile. (That was a big "phew" moment...!)

My offer to go open source remains, as per my previous post. I am not doing this for the money. I'm doing this for the functionality of my own home and that of the community. I love the OP2 system, really sad that it has been discontinued by Leviton, but hoping to get the most out of it in cooperation with the community who is in the same boat.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

I understood from the moment you mentioned having to buy the source code from him, there would be a charge. I never had the app and guess lucky in the sense of no monetary loss. However I did have HAIKU for iOS and somewhat similar ending... which sucked. Now I pay a year subscription for Myro:Home. 

My goal is to have cheap android tablets in a few key locations to serve as home automation consoles. To expensive from the Apple side. If you need a guinea pig, I can pay (reasonable cost) to get you started on the road to recover on your investment (I don't need source, etc.) can sideload an apk, etc.. Im looking to run on a Amazon Fire Tablet (HD10). 

Just a though, if all your looking to is recoup cost and maybe some money on top. You could create some sort of go fund me where by you set the $ goal. Once its reached you could open source it to get community contributors from that point on. I'm sure there will be many suggestions that come your way.

Back