OmniPro and Kwikset

mhurtado

I have an omnistat2 that supports zigbee.  I think it is like a repeater as I am hard wired to the omnistat2.  

Can the Omnistat2 communicate to a Kwikset zigbee?  

Else, what do I need to connect to Kwikset?

Michael

mhurtado said:
I have an omnistat2 that supports zigbee.  I think it is like a repeater as I am hard wired to the omnistat2.  

Can the Omnistat2 communicate to a Kwikset zigbee?  

Else, what do I need to connect to Kwikset?

Michael
Hello and welcome.

So if you have a ZIM connected to your panel, then in theory it can connect to Zigbee locks, like the Kwikset lock.  But the reality is, its a bit more complex.  So Zigbee has three types of nodes. The ZIM is a controller, and a Zigbee network can have one and only one controller. Locks and other battery Zigbee devices are another type of node. And finally 120V powered Zigbee devices are an other type. 

So the thing with battery devices, is they don't transmit much because they save battery power. They NEED a 120V Zigbee device nearby to act as a host.  If you have Zigbee bulbs and Zigbee outlets and Zigbee thermostats around (The Omnostat2 can be Zigbee) you are set. If not, you will probably need to get at least one to install it between the lock and ZIM. The MORE Zigbee devices the better.  GE Link Bulbs or Cree Zigbee bulbs both work as do other Zigbee devices.  Just pair these devices FIRST, wait 24 hours+ THEN pair the locks. 

This is a device that is JUST a repeater and works https://smartenit.com/product/zbre/
But honestly EVERY 120V Zigbee device IS A REPEATER so any 120V Zigbee device will work to REPEAT.

Also one final thing. Zigbee networks take time to reorganize and work their best. If you set it all up and it doesn't work great, relax and give it a few days to optimize itself. It may get better with time, like a fine wine. :)

Theoretically, yes! You will need to get a ZIM and hook that up to the Omni Pro. Then add the lock to the ZIM. Once added, you can program your current locks to do stuff based off the temps etc. Is that what you mean by connecting the Omnistat to the Kwikset?

I use my OPII with a Kwikset Zigbee lock.  I have the ZIM hooked to the panel and a lock at the front door.  Those are the only two Zigbee devices I have.

We keep our front door open a lot, so I have the lock set to never auto re-lock, but then have the OPII send out a re-lock command 60 seconds after the door closes.  Works well that way.

Sorry for the late response. Was only allowed 1 post yesterday (newbie).

Appreciate all the responses. Question, is zwave ok to use? Or stay clear? I have Radio Ra2 and config looks similar.

You could do the same thing with Zwave.  I've chosen to not have any Zwave devices in my OPII system for other reasons.

mhurtado said:
Sorry for the late response. Was only allowed 1 post yesterday (newbie).

Appreciate all the responses. Question, is zwave ok to use? Or stay clear? I have Radio Ra2 and config looks similar.
You can have Zigbee and Zwave together, no problem, but they are completely separate, and operate on different frequencies. Zigbee works better, and is an open standard with many companies participating. Zwave is proprietary and owned and controlled by one company. Others can use it under license.

Here utilize UPB, X10, ZWave and Zigbee controllers with my OmniPro 2 with no issues.  There are limits to the ZWave and Zigbee OmniPro stuff.

Ok thanks again everyone. Sounds like I’m going to be controlling some dead bolts. Can’t wait to see this working! Exciting!

Something that will save you a lot of pain and heartache is knowing how to properly pair the Kwiksets...

Under the rear panel of the lock, there are two white buttons on the top.  The left button is the "join/pair/enroll" button, the right button is for "disband/leave".

Now, you would think you would just hit that button once and be good.... oooohhh no.

For some reason, the bizarre sequence you will need to do is:

Press the right button 9 times (yes, nine).  You will see some small LEDs under the plastic cover blink each time you hit it.  When you get to the ninth press, a second LED right next to the first LED will briefly light up.  This disenrolls the lock from any previous networks.

Now, place the ZIM in setup/enroll mode.

Finally, press the left button 4 times.  Watch for the same LED pattern, with the second coming on with the fourth press.

Hopefully you luck out on the first try and it enrolls.  If not, start all over again.

One more thing. The ZIM can run on batteries so it may be beneficial to bring the ZIM close to the lock when pairing, else the ZIM may not see the lock.  As I stated before, the lock range is not great, so after its paired, if the ZIM can't control the lock, you will need to get a line powered Zigbee device to act as a repeater.

After many year of connecting my OmniPro II to my Kwikset Smartcode locks, I am giving up. A few things, first these locks, and most Kwikset locks have a problem where they can be basically rekeyed with a screwdriver. by "rekeyed" I mean broken into. I've proved it myself on some old locks. 

Second, I've never had great reliability with this combination. Range seems very short, and there is no indication from the Omni when your batteries are dead. I've had much better luck with Yale Zigbee locks, but still no battery level indication.

So I'm keeping most Zigbee lighting on the Omni, but moving over somethings to SmartThings. I could not for the life of me get SmartThings to pair with the Kickset locks. Despite all the 9 presses of this button and 4 presses of that button. But Yale Zigbee locks paired first time. And it reports batter level. SmartThings can do lots independent of Omni, like when you leave the house it locks the doors.

So if you can go with Yale instead of Kwikset, I would recommend it. This weekend I rip out my last Kwikset lock  and its all Yale. I've never found a Zigbee Over-The-Air firmware update for the Kwikset locks. If that exists, maybe it fixes some of these problems.

ano said:
So if you can go with Yale instead of Kwikset, I would recommend it. This weekend I rip out my last Kwikset lock  and its all Yale. I've never found a Zigbee Over-The-Air firmware update for the Kwikset locks. If that exists, maybe it fixes some of these problems.

I do think the Yale locks look like a better option overall (I have no experience with them though).  Did you do the ones with or without keypads?

Are you going to off-load your Kwikset ones?

Wow, I hear you, ano. I have a kwikset z-wave lock. I like it, except for the battery setup. Maybe I should hard wire it. Like you said, if I replace batteries on a regular schedule, things are great. If it runs out of battery, I usually notice, because it's the first hop from my VRC0P and the Z-Wave response will be delayed while the Z-Wave recovers the route. If I replace batteries then, everything is fine. But if I don't notice and the batteries really die, then sometimes it un-pairs. This happened a couple weeks ago and I haven't bothered to re-pair it yet.

When my Kwikset lock batteries get low, it beeps on re-lock.  It's pretty annoying and I'll replace them within a day or two to get it to stop.  Batteries tend to last about 2 months.

Back