OmniTouch 7

It can only do what the OmniPro controller can do.  Buttons, now called Macros.  No added functionality.  I am configuring a tablet to run iRule so I can fully customize.  Got a Google Nexus 7 for less than $200.  Has inductive charging, wireless, so my plan was to install a charging pad in the wall - flush mount, and use Dockem wall mount brackets to mount tablet on wall in front of charging pad.  No wires exposed.  Pull tablet off wall to use occasionally, but mostly leave in place.  Problem is that they do not recommend that you leave the wireless chargers or the tablets charging all the time.  Kills the battery over time.  I haven't been able to find the devices suggested by Pete C.  Probably need to find something more appropriate for permanent mount and usage.

I'm leaning toward using some timers to control chargers.  The new in-line RA2 devices look like they might be an interesting solution for that.  Or the as-yet to be shipping RF softswitch (basically a j-box attached switch).  So I'll either just run the charger on a dumb schedule or somehow get feedback from the devices as to when they're docked.  As not all devices have a way to easily triggering docking that's a bit tricky.  

Got mine up and running.  I assume that the noise on the left side is some type of fan?  Surpirsed you can hear something like that.  There is a small slit for air I assume.... SJ

Here's my quick report on the unit...  Install was easy.  This thing is defintely, "version 1".  I actually considered replacing my main hard button console with the unit, glad I didn't do that!  When you first boot up the thing, it goes to the home screen.  However, if you enter any rooms, then the home button goes back to that room.  Finally figured out there is a room icon (far left), that takes you back to the main screen.  Guess I will get used to that.  The unit makes a little wisper of noise from what I believe is a fan porting out the left side.  Likely to keep it cool.  Now, once the unit got stuck showing a not ready zone.  All my other consoles didn't show it.  The OT7 would not allow me to arm my security system as it thought the zone was not ready.  Normal rebooting (holding the setting button until you go to the install screen, and then EXIT would NOT clear the zone.  Even triggering the zone ready/not ready would not clear.  Finally had to pull the POE power from the unit to have it do a complete restart.  Everything back to normal now.  The response of the screen is fast.  My IP cameras show up just fine.  Overall, I'm OK with it.  Also have HAIKU running on iPads and all though it is not quite as quick connecting/etc., it is sure nicer looking.  Maybe with the exception of the nice OT7 graphics. There sees to be some good potential with the unit.  They likely will provide some updated firmware at some point.  You have to update the firmware via PC Access.  Once you define the OT7 in the extended setup, the "check for updates" also now checks for OT7 firmware (there is no new firmware at this point).  I'll run it through some more tests over the next several days...  SJ

Completely Agree with SJHart as to it being a version 1 product... the software should really be considered a beta, lots of little quarks. Security button access in the dock and on the main screen is bad UI design. "Messages" aren't showing up for me... Also the device isn't saving all "settings". "Key Click" turns it's self back on after a reboot, or a IP settings adjustment... no ability to show only "not ready" zones, its shows them all together, and in no order.  "home" button doesn't always return home, after going into a "room" you must hit the room button, and select your main room (the unlabeled one) before the home button returns you home.

All in all, the device is going to be really cool, its very responsive and fast for dimmers, thermostats, and cameras are actually pretty responsive too. Can't wait for a few firmware updates. Does anyone know of a way to get in touch with Leviton on this device as far as beta testing for them, or getting feedback to someone that actually wants it?

Lastly does anyone know of a way to turn off button "confirmation"? I hate that I push a button, and it asks me "activate 'button'?" and I then have to push another button to confirm...

I actually like the confirmation on buttons. I wish the 5.7 has this as I can't tell you how many times the screen accuracy made me me hit the wrong button! SJ

SJHart said:
I actually like the confirmation on buttons. I wish the 5.7 has this as I can't tell you how many times the screen accuracy made me me hit the wrong button! SJ

Maybe they can make it a toggle in the options to turn on/off :)  I fire a lot of applescript actions via haikuhelper, for volume, track changes, etc, plus fireplace, I don't need confirmation each time I push the volume button up a few clicks, or when I want to change songs!

Anyone know how to get in touch with the development team? I do a ton of UI/UX and beta test work for a various companies, would be glad to funnel information to the development group if I can figure out how to reach them, may just have to call the 1800 number...

My outside temp on the main screen doesn't update. It shows whatever the temp was when first installed. The temp screen shows the correct number. Probably a bug.... SJ

Installing the firmware update that released today... hopefully it fixed some bugs and not just added languages. Haven't been able to find a changelog anywhere yet. I'll keep everyone posted if I notice any new bugs, or if the old ones have been fixed!

Resolved Bugs Found:
*  Outdoor Temp updates are fixed. (it used to just hold the temp it knew at boot up)
*  Home button now returns you to home regardless of screen you are in.
*  Messages now display correctly, and the led in the corner flashes appropriately.

Unknowns:
*  My Lighting Page has gained a slider before any of my rooms, that has no values assigned to it, It wasn't there before, I don't think it should be there now, will dig around and confirm later as well.

Still not resolved:
*  Key Click volume "off" doesn't save through reboot.
*  Sliders for Volume & Light Levels still don't change numerical percentage value as you slide them. (can't find 50% without stopping to see where you are, then sliding up/down, letting off again to see, etc..)
*  Would still like the ability to assign the OmniTouch7 to an "Area". I am seeing a lot of things on this, that I don't want to see that are in another "Area"
*  Also still don't understand why there is a Security Button and a Security Dock Icon.

Thats it for now, I'll update more as I find it. 

I was not able to find the means for triggering scenes within an HLC room.  The lights panel displayed the available rooms and lights, and showed the currently selected scenes for rooms, but I could not locate how to select scene A, B, C, or D, only was able to turn the room on and off by tapping the room icon.

Firmware upgrade helped with several issues which shows they are improving the device. Humidity is not quite correct on the display. Keep the firmware upgrades coming! SJ

The noise on the left side is not a fan but another bug. It is some is in the audio circuit since that is where the speaker sit. Is there another way to update the 7. I can not get it to be discovered in PC access. Thanks

There was yet another firmware update.  Not sure what they fixed.   I only know how to update via PC Access.  The titles on some of my rooms and other names gets cut off.  Seems like there is lots of space on the screens for longer names or double lines.  Assume they will fix that at some point.  Seems to be getting a bit more solid.  I really like how quick the camera screens come up.  SJ

shlanskr said:
The noise on the left side is not a fan but another bug. It is some is in the audio circuit since that is where the speaker sit. Is there another way to update the 7. I can not get it to be discovered in PC access. Thanks

Hey Shlanskr, not sure if you got this figured out yet or not. My OP7 didn't discover either, so I took the Mac address off the back of the unit, added a DHCP reservation for it into my router, then rebooted it a couple times to make sure it took the new address. Once I could see it was using the new address, I then just entered it into PC Access, and hit the update button.

Hopefully that helps you come up with a plan. 

Back