OmniTouch 7

Thank DeborahT, I may contact you in the future.  I am in the middle of two other large home projects so tackling anything new is just not in the cards.

I just get frustrated when I see companies like HAI pulling what I like to call a "Blackberry" move.  Instead of changing and adapting to market conditions, they continue to press on with the old tried and true approach.  In the current world, companies holding on to their hardware and ignoring the software side of the business (like Blackberry) are a great example.  This just allows other to take what was once theirs or could have been theirs.  And it sucks when everyone is pointing out the same thing and the company STILL can not get the picture.

HAI can help its installers AND the consumers increasing their revenue and profit.  They are not mutually exclusive nor are you cannibalizing sales.  They are different markets and buyers.   If HAI continues to do so they simply open additional doors for other developers/suppliers to step in and take profits that could be theirs.

Sorry...well I am glad the new android software is getting updated quickly.  They at least have some focus on the software they are working on.

bigredmachine said:
Wondering if anybody knows how, or if its possible, to make a camera popup upon a zone trigger.  I cant for the life of me see a way to make this happen.  Thanks
Similar issue here.  I programmed a Keyfob button to show camera but that doesn't work on the Omnitouch 7.  I also programmed a macro on the Omnitouch 7, and it won't pop the camera either. 

WHEN KEYFOB1_LTG_BTN_PRESSED SECURE
THEN SAY CAMERA RUN
THEN SHOW CAMERA 1 ON TOUCHSCREEN 1

It seems strange that when building the program it shows "Console 1" but then displays it in general text as "TOUCHSCREEN 1".

So, if I press the keyfob, I hear CAMERA RUN, so I know the event was received, but then no camera pop.  Do I have it wrong?  Does "SHOW CAMERA" mean show the camera from the home page, and doesn't ACTIVATE when using the macro button mean run the macro and SHOW CAMERA on the display?

Additiona info:  I can see a list of all the cameras, I can scroll through and press each camera's button and they show the camera's stream on the screen. I can then press the camera's video and the video goes to full screen, but for some reason, the macro and keyfob automation does not work with the cameras to "pop" them into view on the touchscreen.   Running Omnitouch 7 firmware 1.4 and firmware 3.12 on the Omni.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I believe there must be a bug in the PC Access software or the Omni LTE firmware, as it now appears the system really is trying to show a camera on the console rather than the touchscreen.  I added a description to Console 1, and now when I edit the automation, it now shows the description of console 1 in the rules BUT, when I save the automation programming, it displays as THEN SHOW CAMERA 1 ON TOUCHSCREEN 1, but in reality, I think the Omni LTE is replacing the word console with touchscreen causing the confusion.  Can anyone confirm?

Trigger (whatever)
Action (Action Type - Show Camera, Select Camera - Camera 1, Select Console - Console 1), click OK, click OK, and if an Omnitouch 7 is present, it will show "... THEN SHOW CAMERA 1 ON TOUCHSCREEN 1). 

Sadness!

The programming you are using was for the 3.9  and 5.7 inch screens, which used analog video along with the Video Hub/Encoder. These are all discontinued products. There is currently no way to pop up a camera on an OT7. There may be future developments but at this time, Support has no information.

Tom Cressionnie
Technical Support
Security & Automation

[ Leviton HAI ]
---------------
So basically my understanding, is that the modern day Omni and Omnitouch 7 isn't designed to do as much as the older stuff. No explanation was provided why the term Console and Touchscreen are used interactively, but I assume that the old touchscreens must have also had the additional capability of the Omni Console, which explains why there is no audio announcements over the touchscreens either like you get with the consoles.

Too bad - imagine having a door bell button pushed and the HAI door camera showing video on the touchscreen nearest the door, or an alarm on the Omni indicating intrusion at the rear entrance and the popping the video camera pointed at the rear entrance on the touchscreens in that area, or how about having a fire alarm and showing occupants how bad the fire, possibly saving lives - sounds like a reason to buy a system like that for every home. 

Now if only Leviton / HAI had the forsight to see that this feature would drive more sales.

Anyway BIGREDMACHINE - that's why we've all been having an issue getting that function to work - it was discontinued with the old technology and the advantage lost in the modern technology.

Yeah, we need this. My wife was surprised it didn't do this as someone rings the doorbell and you have to select the camera to see who it is. SJ

codybear wrote:
"Has anyone tried the OmniTouch 7 with a Russound MCA-C5 connected to the Omnipro II? I wanted to see if there were more or less options. 5.7e works to some degree, but I don't know of anyway to change banks of radio presets. I'm also avoiding installing the Russound wall controllers so I'm hoping the OT7 has more music features for the Russound. Of course, the Russound Ipad/Iphone app may be another option"

I currently have this working with the MCAC5 but can tell you that it works poorly at best.  The biggest issues is that the screen does not seem to refresh with the MCAC5.  when you hit a zone it sometimes will select it but usually takes a minute or two before that zone will show up.  Sources are a little quicker but not much better.  Anybody else have any experience with this?

bigredmachine said:
"StarTrekDoors" Thanks for digging into this.  Frustrating that a new piece of hardware steps us backwards in functionality!?
Not only frustrating but surprising... Many IP camera's have motion detection built-in where the camera can call you, can trigger an alarm, and even automatically start recording video - all which would seem to be very advanced features. 

It would be nice to see the advanced capability in the  "supposedly" more sophisticated tech products like a new Omni controller and it's new IP-based touchscreen . Being able to perform a much needed function like showing a specific IP camera from a triggered event rather than limiting options in my opinion defeats the purpose of automation. You're right - why go backwards!

I'm in the middle of getting a Omni system, I need to determine if the LTE is a good board for my minimal security/automation needs.

tripleJs15 said:
I'm in the middle of getting a Omni system, I need to determine if the LTE is a good board for my minimal security/automation needs.

You may want to post this as a separate thread and provide more details on exactly what needs you have.

bigredmachine said:
I currently have this working with the MCAC5 but can tell you that it works poorly at best.  The biggest issues is that the screen does not seem to refresh with the MCAC5.  when you hit a zone it sometimes will select it but usually takes a minute or two before that zone will show up.  Sources are a little quicker but not much better.  Anybody else have any experience with this?

Thanks.  I have two uninstalled 5.7e's to add to my system and before I cut into the drywall I'm debating to install them or sell them on ebay and replace them with the OT7.  As the 5.7e's hole is bigger (taller?), I don't want to cut the wrong size hole and then wish I had installed the OT7's instead.  As the OT7 is getting mixed reviews, I don't know if it is worth taking a loss on the 5.7e's.  So for the people installing the OT7, if you could do it again, would you install the 5.7e or OT7?

codybear said:
Thanks.  I have two uninstalled 5.7e's to add to my system and before I cut into the drywall I'm debating to install them or sell them on ebay and replace them with the OT7.  As the 5.7e's hole is bigger (taller?), I don't want to cut the wrong size hole and then wish I had installed the OT7's instead.  As the OT7 is getting mixed reviews, I don't know if it is worth taking a loss on the 5.7e's.  So for the people installing the OT7, if you could do it again, would you install the 5.7e or OT7?

No, I would not do it again.

The OT7 has the potential to be an astounding interface, but it is half-baked and rushed to market and I advise staying away from them until Leviton finishes them.  I have a number installed in my own home, as well as in client installations and they are a constant source of headaches and call-backs and my clients are VERY unhappy.  Unfortunately, I'm struck in a position where I can't make things right because Leviton offers zero visibility on when they'll fix the problems and the 5.7e's are discontinued - so I have a couple non-working systems :(

Here are a few of the major problems:
  1. Security is flaky (the BIGGEST issue by far!).  The OT7 does not communicate reliably with the OmniPro2 so it doesn't recognize changes in zone status.  What this means is that it is oblivious to the true state of the security system, and worse, it arms/disarms unreliably.  I get a call from the security station about every other time because the OT7 won't disarm the security system!
  2. Response time with lighting is unreliable.  Probably the same comms issue as above.  Press a button and wait - the light may or may not change state.  Same thing with status reports or any other state change.
  3. Useless with the HiFi2 system: all the zones show but the system is so laggy and unresponsive that changing volume/source/rooms is an exercise in frustration.  
  4. Zero integration with the full potential of the HiFi system - meaning no use of the HAI dock and no metedata or cover art, etc on the OT7.
  5. IP CCTV displays but only manually - meaning you have to select the camera if you want to see it.  There is no functionality with screen pops or any code events that would trigger a camera to display if someone rings the doorbell or a motion sensor is tripped, for example.  This strips away 99% of the functionality of having camera integration to begin with.
  6. The screens often reboot or lock-up - once or twice a day on average.  Sometimes they will auto-reboot while others you have to pull the cable to manually restart them.
  7. No intercom functionality.
  8. No customization.  At all.
  9. There is a high-pitched whine/hum emanating from the SD-port on the left side of the units (this affects ALL product; it's not an anomaly.)
Those are the major problems.  So the hardware is beautiful... if you want a gorgeous screen on the wall that doesn't work with the security system, audio, cameras, intercom, and *most of the time* works for lighting, then they are great!  Otherwise, stay far far away until Leviton finishes them.  

DO NOT - repeat, DO NOT - install them for customers, unless you want very frustrated customers.

I've been using the Haiku app and been very pleased.  I'm considering moving away from the OT7 screens for client installs and instead mounting iPad's with Haiku running.  In the end, it's about the same cost (before you get into the dock) but they get the full functionality of the iPad to boot.  The only drawback to this would be if/when Leviton gets the CCTV screen pop issue resolved: it would be nice to offer this functionality.  But otherwise, an iPad or similar running Haiku is much more robust and reliable right now.

Long story short: I'd keep the 5.7e's.  Besides, a minor drywall repair is no big deal if you ever decide to switch it up...

My $0.10

jcdavis said:
Unfortunately, I'm struck in a position where I can't make things right because Leviton offers zero visibility on when they'll fix the problems and the 5.7e's are discontinued - so I have a couple non-working systems :(

And here I thought I would have to sell my 5.7e's for a loss.  If Leviton can't get the OT7 working correctly, I may be able to sell them for a nice profit.

Thanks for the input, I think I'll stick with the 5.7e's for now.

They are working on the next firmware release for the OT7.  An associate sent me this version which completely fixed the zone status issues for me:

www.homeauto.com/Downloads/HAIInternal/HAIPrivate/FTP/OmniTouch_7_Version_1.5_99A00-1_2.ot7f

Copy the  downloaded file to the "..\My Documents\HAI\PC Access\_ot7f" folder.  Then update in PC Access like normal.  Ver 1.4 is the current version if you use the "check for updates" PC Access process.   SJ

Thanks much SJ.  As you I'm sure know, the day after you sent the link to 1.5, Leviton officially released 1.6.

Version 1.6 improves the security issues (the most critical), and improved the responsiveness of the audio - hooray!  So the immediate "broken" stuff is being remedied, which is great.

Now once they get it stable, the sooner they can give us functionality to make the screens useful (such as camera pops and audio metadata, etc) then these things will be sweet indeed.

Back