marvell plug computer

Pete,

That is REALLY AWESOME!

I think I'll have to try to get this working as well.

My solution to getting the USB to VGA adapters working on my server is to disable the onboard video and use this card from WorstBuy...I mean BestBuy

It's the ONLY PCI video card that has OFFICIAL Windows 7 drivers (that I could find for under $50).

Until then, getting this setup would be REALLY awesome! Then I can (without the cost of the KVM Extender) extend HSTouch using the Dockstar.

Have you tried HSTouch on the Dockstar yet?

--Dan

I did a search yesterday and found out there are quite a few folks out there who have been or attempting to connect single/multiple USB monitors to Linux setups. Not totally sure about their goals though. There's a basic "profile" set up for the Mimo Monitor. I kept playing with it yesterday. Sometimes I would get very small fonts etc. Looking some more yesterday found one that was specific to the Mimo 7" Touchscreen monitors. What I noticed in the log is that when X boots it tells you mfg of connected USB devices and even the serial number of my Mimo Monitor. The applications load pretty quick. The browser came up quickly; it was just the actual web site that was a bit slow to come up. I made some adjustments to the "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" initially configured for a Mimo monitor. Will try HSTouch today using the Mono installation.

I purchased this specific Mimo AT-7 "on sale" from Mimo for about $110 or so. I've historically paid closer to $200 for a 7" wide screen VGA and an 8" 4:3 VGA touchscreen monitor (with 3 connecting cables). (automotive style). After 2 years 24/7 use the 7" TS had the "exploding caps" thing.

I've been having just some connectivity issues with the Mimo TS coming up with HSTouch. If I connected it; left it alone and rebooted it would always come up. If I unplugged it and plugged it it I would have to configure the touchscreen part of it. With VM it became a bit more of a chore. I am guessing though if you used a smaller computer with Linux base VM's / X windows on it you "could" theoritically use it for multiple HSTouch/USB screens.

Code:
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "AT-7"
        driver          "displaylink"
        Option  "fbdev" "/dev/fb0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier "monitor0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "screen0"
        Device "AT-7"
        Monitor "monitor0"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier "Default Layout"
        Screen  "screen0"
        InputDevice "touchscreen" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier "touchscreen"
        Driver "evdev"
        Option "Device" "/dev/input/event3"
        Option "DeviceName" "touchscreen"
        Option "ReportingMode"  "Raw"
        Option "SendCoreEvents" "On"
        Option "Calibrate" "1"
        Option "InvertY" "true"
EndSection

Here is a snippet of the /var/log/Xorg.0 file.

(II) DL(0): Monitor name: AT-7
(II) DL(0): Serial No: xxx
(II) DL(0): EDID (in hex):
(II) DL(0): EDID vendor "SRI", prod id 16
(II) DL(0): Using hsync ranges from config file
(II) DL(0): Using vrefresh ranges from config file
(II) DL(0): Printing DDC gathered Modelines:
(II) DL(0): Modeline "800x480"x0.0 40.00 800 1010 1011 1056 480 493 494 635 +hsync +vsync (37.9 kHz)
(II) DL(0): EDID vendor "SRI", prod id 16
(II) DL(0): Printing probed modes for output udlfb
(II) DL(0): Modeline "800x480"x59.7 40.00 800 1010 1011 1056 480 493 494 635 +hsync +vsync (37.9 kHz)
(II) DL(0): Output udlfb connected
(II) DL(0): Using exact sizes for initial modes
(II) DL(0): Output udlfb using initial mode 800x480
(II) DL(0): Using default gamma of (1.0, 1.0, 1.0) unless otherwise stated.
(--) DL(0): Virtual size is 800x480 (pitch 0)
(**) DL(0): Driver mode "800x480": 40.0 MHz (scaled from 0.0 MHz), 37.9 kHz, 59.7 Hz
(II) DL(0): Modeline "800x480"x59.7 40.00 800 1010 1011 1056 480 493 494 635 +hsync +vsync (37.9 kHz)
(**) DL(0): Display dimensions: (80, 50) mm
(**) DL(0): DPI set to (254, 243)
(==) DL(0): Backing store disabled
(==) DL(0): DPMS enabled
(==) RandR enabled
II) config/udev: Adding input device eGalax Inc. USB TouchController (/dev/input/event1)
(**) eGalax Inc. USB TouchController: Applying InputClass "evdev tablet catchall"
(**) eGalax Inc. USB TouchController: always reports core events
(**) eGalax Inc. USB TouchController: Device: "/dev/input/event1"
(II) eGalax Inc. USB TouchController: Found 3 mouse buttons
(II) eGalax Inc. USB TouchController: Found absolute axes
(II) eGalax Inc. USB TouchController: Found x and y absolute axes
(II) eGalax Inc. USB TouchController: Found absolute tablet.
(II) eGalax Inc. USB TouchController: Configuring as tablet
(**) eGalax Inc. USB TouchController: YAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) eGalax Inc. USB TouchController: EmulateWheelButton: 4, EmulateWheelInertia: 10, EmulateWheelTimeout: 200
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "eGalax Inc. USB TouchController" (type: TABLET)
(II) eGalax Inc. USB TouchController: initialized for absolute axes.

So I've been playing with the Mimo left connected to the Dockstar; installing this and that. Yesterday noticed that I was getting RW errors on the SD card. Looking at the logs it appears that the errors were HW related. It was actually trashing my 16Gb micro SD card. I fixed today (3rd time) backed it up (imaged it) then did the same off of another micro SD card. Same errors. So for the time being the Mimo will not remain connected to the Dockstar. Its kind of wierd though because I have the Mimo plugged into a 2.0 powered hub. Another thing I can do is just turn it on when I am testing the touch screen stuff after I've installed everything.

I can get the 16Gb MicroSD card to error doing multiple RW's to it. I duplicated the errors with the 2nd microSD card. So now will try a 4Gb USB dongle with the same image on it to see how it works instead. I read on the forums that typically any BUS errors are usually related to the SD / memory dongle you are using; with some working better than others.

BTW tweaked out the Mimo X-Windows; its like having a miniature computer. Its pretty quick other than when browsing on the internet.

I watched a video of a person testing the Dockstar with all kinds of "periferals" plugged into the Dockstart 3 USB port. He even used the top mini USB port. No issues that I could tell.

i'm using one of these adapters http://goo.gl/1UmEB for the top usb port. i have a bluetooth dongle connected to it.

Never seen one that small with two USB type connections on it. Great deal!

I guess folks are mentioning that the Dockstar with its external PS is much easier to work with than the Sheeva Plug combo AC adapter and a lot cheaper.

That's the same adapter that I am using.

I still need to finish this up so I can start backing things up again. Got sidetracked with the great pricing on HSTouch.

--Dan

I was able to get HSTouch working on the Dockstar by installing the newest version of Mono it. I also installed VNC server such that I could see X Windows on it remotely. I'm am starting to see the signs of a power draw on the Mimo monitor as the newest active 2.0 hub came only with a .5 Amp 5VDC power supply. I also plugged in a wireless USB keyboard / mouse combo (MM smaller type with a track ball on it). Might be the reason for the power draw. (start to get some noise "lines" on the Mimo when "pushing" on the power). Noticed though that the Mimo monitor is always recognized (down to the serial number); plug n play versus the USB connection to an XPSP3Pro setup where sometimes the USB Mimo / Touch doesn't come back. Making it a Debian X-Windows primary monitor sure helps though.

I also am sharing (via Samba) the touchscreen configuration / skins directory on the network such that I can make changes to it more quickly.

Now more than before keep backing up my setup to the duplicate 16Gb microsd card. Not sure why I had bus errors before but they've gone away.

Waiting on the 9097U still for next piece of connectivity. (serial/USB, 1-Wire temps & Xap). Impressive miniature marvel!

Pete, could you share your "in process" image for the deskstar as it does contain many features that are desirable for development work. Since I'm so new to Linux it is a slow process to build up beyond the basic Debian install.

Can you post some pictures of the HSTouch setup? I'll even mention it on the front page ;) Great job!

Michael,

I will create a list of what I have installed to date on the 16Gb microSD card. Just looked an have only used up a bit.

root@ICS-Dockstar:~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs 14G 1.7G 12G 13% /
none 60M 48K 59M 1% /dev
/dev/sda1 14G 1.7G 12G 13% /
tmpfs 62M 0 62M 0% /lib/init/rw
tmpfs 62M 0 62M 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 62M 132K 62M 1% /tmp

Here's a list from Webmin of the package tree of "stuff" installed. I've installed about 50% from Webmin and 50% via command line. Attached.

Dan,

I will need to move the dockstar from the top of the "rack" sitting next to the Gb switch. I took it off my home office desk a couple of weeks ago.

I dismantled the Dockstar / Mimo setup on the rack moved it to the dining room table (for a bit) took a bunch of pictures. I am not good at staging this stuff. See if attached pictures will work. I also have screen shots that I can do with VNC (which look better for HSTouch). Will this work Dan?

pictures1t.jpg

I have two more Dockstars now to play with.

I've done the initial Dockstar setup on Dockstar #2. I've changed just a couple of the procedures that I have read. One is related just to my network and to NTP.

I am particular about time and have an NTP designated Stratum 1 server that I have set up with a GPS.

So the initial set up right after the Debian install is to set up NTP. As the Dockstar doesn't have its own clock I have it set to getting the time before it does anything. I've used a 4Gb USB memory stick on #2.

Dan,
Its two views of the same satellite. One is the Unisys view using GOES East (12) and the other one is a bit more enhanced but not from Unisys.

IE:
Unisys Weather pic
sat_ir_enh_east.gif

Enchanced from Ohio State University (GOES East (12))

us_rgbv.gif

Back