marvell plug computer

Were you able to get Samba up and running?

Yes I showed you in the above posts. Its still running. I used an external 500Gb drive. W7 doesn't do well with Samba I have read. I noticed I saw a difference when logging in with a DNS name versus the IP. I dunno why. I believe when I first set the permissions the XP machine cached the information so then the next time I would click on the DNS name in "My Network Places" it immediately would come back with a "permissions error". I then changed to just putting the slash/slash/IP address and it prompted me for a username and password and working. As I wrote before I did have some issues with the first install of SAMBA with Webmin. My initial steps were different. I initially did the apt-install via the command line. After I did this I saw the Samba module in Webmin. But it didn't work. I then removed the Samba install via Webmin and re-installed it. This time around it did work.

I got a bit overzealous with the naming of the shares / Dockstar for Samba. These all work and all point to either the whole drive or different directories on the drive. I was testing permissions for subdirectories etc.

Pete,

I had done a few steps SIMILAR to what you posted...but I redid my steps, just in case.

It didn't help much, BUT I did notice that smbpasswd wasn't installed again.

So...I'm working on that...I'll keep you posted.

--Dan

Welp, I"m back to...I can read the files, but I can't write files.

GRR...I know it's something simple...

BTW, tested with "regular" user...terminal into the dockstar

su user

then
pico t.txt

Won't let me save...hmm...maybe I've got something goofed up higher in the chain? Is chmod 755 ok? I thought chmod 777 was the "loosest"?

--Dan

Looks like in the actual SHARE, I had to "force" the user to root.

I don't understand that, but maybe because I created the /mnt/c directory using root?

(I shared out /mnt/c as \\ip\thumb )

As soon as I changed that field to "force user" root, it let me have access to that thumbdrive. It let me authenticate to the dockstar as the user name, but all file access was with the "root" access. I got the idea, as when I right clicked the files in the share, under windows, then went to security, it told me all users could read the files, but only debian\root could read/write to them. So, I must have something goofed up here.

--Dan

I think you are just about there now.

If you install WinSCP you can look / edit the files via an explorer like interface. You can also do the Chmod via a GUI. Initially I created a "SambaShare" group. These are just regular users with read but no write access. I then while configuring Samba added the Sambashare, admin and root group to the Samba group. You can also sync such that if you are adding users to Samba they automatically get added to the Dockstar or vice versa. Do a mount command to check permissions on the USB dongle. You might have some higher level down ro write only stuff there. I just checked mine and all of them are set to RW. (thats even after a reboot of the dockstar). BTW 775 is fine. By default your permissions are pretty much set automatically. I just see the difference if I say create a file in windows and copy it over to the Dockstar. If you use WinSCP its done automatically. (the editing part).

BTW when testing out the external share I created a number of "test" directories logged in as root with no ill effects.

i've just configured one dock to run asterisk with free incoming calls via sipgate and free outgoing calls using the google voice hack using this link http://goo.gl/aVung - this dock is also running motion, bluetooth proximity & contact closure detection without breaking a sweat.

Ok,

I've been working on two projects. One being Touchscreens for the house. The second...well, this!

Why not blend them??

The reasoning:
I finally got to the point in my install for the touchscreens where I ran everything on the test-bed setup. Everything was 100%. So, I then imaged the server's OS drive. Then I started installing all the hardware and drivers necessary.

I'm using a USB Touchscreen with a UV12 Plus+. Worked WAY beyond what I thought it would on the testbed PC. The thought it, I extend the Server's video with a USB video card, then remote that video to the touchscreen. Since the touchscreen is USB 1.1, and you can cheaply remote VGA + USB1.1, seemed like a great way to put touchscreens around the house. Especially since it seems pretty future proof. My cost per screen will be about what it would be with buying a cheap iPAD (maybe less), BUT to upgrade my system, I change out the server. bingo, the WHOLE system is upgraded. Instead of replacing each screen with something new. Plus, installing something new, like silverlight, or the next "flash" type thing, or HTML3 support is as easy as upgrading just my server.

When I moved to the Server, the driver wouldn't load. Win7 issue? I thought so. I put Win7 on my test bed PC. Tried again, worked flawlessly.

After a week of looking, I found it's because the DisplayLink driver is not allowed to work with a non-certified Win7 driver. My server has an ATI Rage XL video card built into the motherboard. There is no Win7 driver. NO AGP, only PCI slots...so, I can't even test with the extra video cards I have laying around the house.

So, in my frustration, I did a search for UV12 and Debian. I've become a bit familiar with it due to this project, and I thought, if I had to try a virtual box, or VMware something or other, make it something I'm playing with right now.

USB Video Card on Dockstar

So, I took a look at the Linux HSTouch client. It seems that it will run on anything that can run Mono. It also seems that the latest kernel on Jeff's site (the guy we pulled the Dockstar image from) as the DisplayLink drivers built into the kernel (read that link).

So...I have 3 of these Dockstars, why not put one behind the USB touchscreen (I found Linux drivers for it), then I run the HStouch client on the Dockstar, with my USB Touchscreen and the USB Video card!!

Wow, GREAT solution until I can get a reasonable PCI video card for my Server (again, it's the upgrade factor). I've seen some PCI video cards on e-bay, I'm not convinced they are actually PCI (probably PCI-E), but they look dual head, which following how I'm extending the video, saves me from having to buy 1 USBtoVGA adapter...

Pete, did you ever get the Linux HSTouch client working? I saw you were going to try it on some Nokia 770 or 800. If I can draw on your experiences, that would be great!

--Dan

Good News Dan!

Relating to Mono; installed it on the Dockstar yesterday. Not sure if I have Jeff's kernal with the Display Link drivers on it. I also installed Emacs on the Dockstar a couple of weeks back. I'm waiting on a new 9097 and looking to do USB/Serial/XAP "things" with the Dockstar.

I put the latest beta Firmware on the Nokia a couple of months ago. I then connected the very old MS Bluetooth keyboard to it and was able to use the terminal built into the beta firmware. That part was good. The difficult part was reading the tiny print in my terminal session. None the less it worked. I was at a point of installing Mono on the Nokia. The part that I had issues with was connecting the Nokia to my wireless network. It would connect and I would also see all of the AP's in the neighborhood; then it would disconnect in the middle of whatever I was doing. I'm not sure if that is related to a driver issue or HW issue. I got a bit frustrated but recall WLAN issues with it a couple of years back. I probably should install the "official" non beta firmware and start again as it probably would be more stable. The screen is a tad bigger than the MS Mobile screen and the resolution is much higher. The Nokia just sits on my desk right now. Maybe I'll try to downgrade the software on it in the next few days, install, connect to the network and install Mono on it. I did notice though connected via USB it shows up a a "drive" on my PC such that I could just copy over the files to install and install from the SD card in it. So really what's dinging me on the Nokia is the small size and print of the screen. It would be much easier to just get an SSH/Telnet session running on my PC.

The Mimo testing continues and its working well now. Got a couple of new smaller 2.0 USB hubs for it. One was actually a 1.0 hub so getting a new one. If I don't touch the connectivity "live" the HSTouch works well. I can make edits to the touch screen in vivo and it always comes back. I like the quality of the picture of the Mimo although the streaming video is only OK but the rest of the touch screens are good. Another thing I noticed though if I disconnect and reconnect the 2.0 Hub the screen comes back but I have to tell the "touch" application which screen to use but don't have to recalibrate the screen.

Ideally then if you can get a USB Touchscreen / Mono setup with the Dockstar running it would be great! No overhead!

Meanwhile (tangent) been doing the Christmas lighting thing initially was using the Black and Decker freewire X10 stuff outside and decided yesterday to try the Z-Wave HA-04's (as I purchased about 10 of these). Last year went to the LED lighting and it did meet with WAF too well so went back to the old C9 bulbs. Testing the Z-wave yesterday I noticed that I could go from dim to bright and bright to dim on all of the candles (that I put in all of the windows of the house) which has a nice Christmas like effect.

Pete,

From the thread, you can tell if the kernel has the drivers...plug your Mimo in (it uses the same DriverLinc driver). If the screen goes green, it's working and you have the proper drivers built into the kernel.

As for the other stuff...yeah, time...

--Dan

Is there a way to check on the version of the kernal and the drivers?

When I log into the Dockstar I see:

Linux ICS-Dockstar 2.6.32-5-kirkwood #1 Sun Oct 31 11:19:32 UTC 2010 armv5tel

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Sun Nov 28 02:13:46 2010 from 192.168.244.230

It's 2.6

I don't remember the exact way I did it last night, but since you pulled from the same Jeff "repository" as I did, it's 2.6.

The posts were from sept 10 (I think), and they claimed they were using his repository...so, I think we have the drivers. When I get time, I can try to track this down.

Heck, this might be a great way for you to extend where your Mimo is...get Mono installed, the drivers + X, copy over the Linux hstouch client, then you should be all set.

When I get time, I'll get back to you.

I did finally get official word back on the USB Video card. Apparently Vista and 7 have two video driver modes. One is XDDM mode and WDDM mode. XDDM mode is running XP drivers under Win7. No Aero. Apparently the Win7 USB Video card drivers REQUIRE WDDM mode, as well as to get closer to 100% certainty that the USB card will work, need to run Aero on it (how they optimized the card).

So, this might get up on my priority list. Esp. if I can image the thumbdrive (Haven't yet). Then I just try whatever, figure out what I borked up, re-image and do it properly.

--Dan

Heck, this might be a great way for you to extend where your Mimo is...get Mono installed, the drivers + X, copy over the Linux hstouch client, then you should be all set.

Installed Mono a couple of days ago. The Mimo is kind of wall mounted so I will need to move the Dockstar to another location (have another switch nearby though).

Not sure how long it'll take for the 9097's so will give the Mimo a try.

Just read the threads on Jeff's Dockstar links and it does look like it would work.

Plugged the Mimo into the Dockstar and screen is green.

Making the Displaylink driver per what's on Jeff's forum. Stuck for now.

Missing something....

Code:
/tmp/xf86-video-displaylink# ./configure && make && make install
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... mawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no
checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no
checking build system type... armv5tel-unknown-linux-gnueabi
checking host system type... armv5tel-unknown-linux-gnueabi
checking for style of include used by make... none
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
checking whether the C compiler works... yes
checking whether we are cross compiling... no
checking for suffix of executables...
checking for suffix of object files... o
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... none needed
checking dependency style of gcc... none
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /bin/sed
checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /bin/grep
checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
checking for fgrep... /bin/grep -F
checking for ld used by gcc... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for BSD- or MS-compatible name lister (nm)... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking the name lister (/usr/bin/nm -B) interface... BSD nm
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking the maximum length of command line arguments... 1572864
checking whether the shell understands some XSI constructs... yes
checking whether the shell understands "+="... yes
checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking for objdump... objdump
checking how to recognize dependent libraries... pass_all
checking for ar... ar
checking for strip... strip
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output from gcc object... ok
checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking for objdir... .libs
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... no
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC -DPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC -DPIC works... yes
checking if gcc static flag -static works... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... (cached) yes
checking whether the gcc linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... no
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... immediate
checking whether stripping libraries is possible... yes
checking if libtool supports shared libraries... yes
checking whether to build shared libraries... yes
checking whether to build static libraries... no
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... (cached) yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... (cached) yes
checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... (cached) none needed
checking dependency style of gcc... (cached) none
checking if RANDR is defined... yes
checking if RENDER is defined... yes
checking if XV is defined... yes
checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes
checking for XORG... yes
checking whether xf86ConfigIsaEntity is declared... no
checking for ANSI C header files... (cached) yes
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating src/Makefile
config.status: creating config.h
config.status: executing depfiles commands
config.status: executing libtool commands
-bash: make: command not found

Got it.

I see a mini X-Windows display. Mimo's not green anymore. I left the Dockstar on the top of the "Rack" connected to the Gb switch and just plugged in the Mimo on a lower shelf. This is just a quick Panasonic IP cam ZM picture. Will do better pictures once I've connected a mouse/keyboard to the Dockstar. Will give one of the little new 2.0 hubs a try.

Getting some errors still when starting. Will keep playing. Nice stuff.

Code:
X.Org X Server 1.7.7
Release Date: 2010-05-04
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.31-rc9 armv5tel Debian
Current Operating System: Linux ICS-Dockstar 2.6.32-5-kirkwood #1 Sun Oct 31 11:
19:32 UTC 2010 armv5tel
Kernel command line: console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/sda1 rootdelay=10 rootfstype
=ext2 mtdparts=orion_nand:1M(u-boot),4M(uImage),32M(rootfs),-(data)
Build Date: 12 November 2010  12:26:30AM
xorg-server 2:1.7.7-9 (Julien Cristau <[email protected]>)
Current version of pixman: 0.16.4
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
        to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Wed Dec  1 17:49:46 2010
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
SELinux: Disabled on system, not enabling in X server
(EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/swra
st_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
(EE) GLX: could not load software renderer
Failed to read: session.ignoreBorder
Setting default value
Typo on the creation of the driver earlier.

I was able to get the Mimo monitor working tonight with touch. Very impressive. Browsing is a bit slow and I still need to adjust the font size. First attempt the fonts were too small. This attempt they are a bit too big.

56203234.jpg

23259711.jpg

Back