marvell plug computer

You shouldn't have to redo the partitions on your USB/SD drive. Two ways I've done it though. Fastest but further away (Linux boxes are in the "server" rack is to just plug in the USB SD card into the Linux box or faster on my little Asus Netbook. Via XP though I use a Windows program called Easeus Partition Master to create the Linux partitions on the USB SD dongle. The program looks oddly like Partition Magic (which also worked but only with USB to IDE drive). For me its much faster than doing the FDISK partition set up with a command prompt. Takes a minute or two to create the ext2/ext3 and swap drive. You can even snapshot it with this program if you want.

BTW the IDE to USB boot works a bit faster than the USB 16 Gb microSD boot of Debian. But looking for that small footprint right now.

Before booting to the external USB I checked that the Dockstar would boot fine without it. Really just the edit of the boot file so it doesn't boot into Pogo...

Code:
root@ICS-Dockstar:/etc/samba# df -h
Filesystem			Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs				 14G  520M   13G   4% /
none				   60M   32K   60M   1% /dev
/dev/sda1			  14G  520M   13G   4% /
tmpfs				  62M	 0   62M   0% /lib/init/rw
tmpfs				  62M	 0   62M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs				  62M	 0   62M   0% /tmp

Code:
top - 15:26:05 up  2:24,  1 user,  load average: 0.07, 0.04, 0.00
Tasks:  43 total,   1 running,  41 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie
Cpu(s):  0.7%us,  0.0%sy,  0.0%ni, 99.3%id,  0.0%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.0%si,  0.0%st
Mem:	125732k total,   108468k used,	17264k free,	 3952k buffers
Swap:  1172736k total,		0k used,  1172736k free,	83816k cached

I initially installed Samba via command line. Then went to WebMin to configure a test external USB drive. It was NTFS formatted and for some reason I didn't see the share. So I ended up de-installing; then re-installing Samba. The share came up right away afterwards. I am not sure why it didn't show the first time.

Here are some screen shots.

1 - First I mounted the USB external drive. (Webmin=> System = > Disk and Network File systems)

sambawb1.jpg

2 - Then go to Webmin = > Servers = > Samba Windows File Sharing

3 - Create a share name to the mounted external USB drive.

4 - Windows Networking icon - put your workgroup name / server name - SAVE

5 - File Share Defaults icon - Share information, security and access control - SAVE

6 - Create your Samba Users.

Thats about it and you should see your shares .

sambawb2.jpg

Code:
root@ICS-Dockstar:/home# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
none on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
none on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=60492k,nr_inodes=15123,mode=755)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
/dev/sdb1 on / type ext2 (rw,noatime,errors=remount-ro)
tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,mode=755)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,relatime)
/dev/sda1 on /home/NTFS-USB type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,all
ow_other,blksize=4096)
root@ICS-Dockstar:/home#

Code:
root@ICS-Dockstar:/home# df -h
Filesystem			Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs				 14G  828M   13G   7% /
none				   60M   44K   60M   1% /dev
/dev/sdb1			  14G  828M   13G   7% /
tmpfs				  62M	 0   62M   0% /lib/init/rw
tmpfs				  62M	 0   62M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs				  62M	 0   62M   0% /tmp
/dev/sda1			 466G  451G   16G  97% /home/NTFS-USB

Attached is a snapshot of a file copy using Teracopy at about 5.3MB/s. About the same as I am getting on the NMT's.

Pete,

Thanks for the screen shots. I'll try it as soon as I re-install.

I goofed something up. I think I accidentally told webmin to "not" automatically run every service (including OpenSSH). I think it was a goof in how Opera was "looking" at the webmin pages. Next time, I'll try to use PIE to view webmin (as apparently Opera Mobile doesn't do a good job). The OS is loading, I just can't get in. I can ping the box (I had previously disabled all firewall stuff...or at least made sure it was already off when I was troubleshooting my samba issues).

So, I basically can't get into my Dock. So, I pulled out the thumbdrive, cycled power and the "modified" uboot loaded the original OS again. After that, I plugged the thumbdrive back in, so I should be able to remote in during lunch and re-setup the thumbdrive.

This time, I'll put webmin on first. Then let IT install everything. Hopefully that will take care of my samba issues (I see this as a learning experience!).

Thanks again to both of you!

--Dan

Interesting. Now that I have my Female Mini USB to Female "regular" USB, as soon as I plug something into the "top" port, that becomes my sda device (assuming nothing else was plugged in).

--Dan

Yes, you can plug the USB memory in after booting the dockstar - very plugin play. I am still having some issues with the device getting time (NTP) even though that was the first thing I set up.

well, I guess what I mean to get across is, the docsktar is defaulting the "wrong" drive as SDA, and it's following...so, I need to reboot the dockstar, with BOTH drives unplugged. Then plug in ONLY the "system" drive. Then redo the install.

--Dan

One thing too is when formatting the external drive into two partitions is to make them both primary - if you make one primary and other not then you will see the SDA1 and SDA4 thing. Making them both primary (even swap drive) then you will get them to become SDA1 and SDA2. I think that what happened to me when I first ran the script as it didn't see the second drive partition (SDA2) but rather only saw SDA4 as the swap drive. If you look at the SH (script) you'll see that the partitions are "hard coded" with no variables (like just mentioning first and second variable versus first and second drive partition).

Code:
Logical Partitions

drive name   drive controller drive number partition type partition number 
/dev/hdb1			 1				   2				primary				1 
/dev/hdb2			 1				   2			  extended			   NA 
/dev/hda5			 1				   2				 logical				 2 
/dev/hdb6			 1				   2				 logical				 3 

SCSI Drives

drive name	drive controller drive number partition type partition number 
/dev/sda1			  1					6			   primary				1 
/dev/sda2			  1					6			   primary				2 
/dev/sda3			  1					6			   primary				3

thanks Pete! Will bear that in mind.

Trying to get my wife to reboot the dockstar, sans thumbdrives. Then put them in so I can remote in and kick off the script.

Love pocketputty over the phone!

I suppose I'll have to get something like that for when I boot into Android.

--Dan

I "moved" the Dockstar over to a Gb switch. I see:

Code:
root@ICS-Dockstar:~# mii-tool -v eth0
eth0: negotiated 1000baseT-FD flow-control, link ok
  product info: vendor 00:50:43, model 36 rev 0
  basic mode:   autonegotiation enabled
  basic status: autonegotiation complete, link ok
  capabilities: 1000baseT-FD 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
  advertising:  1000baseT-FD 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
  link partner: 1000baseT-FD 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD flow-control
root@ICS-Dockstar:~#

It seems to be bouncing back and forth with hundreds of these while I see the Gb link light going up and down.

[ 534.689690] eth0: link down
[ 550.459774] eth0: link up, 1000 Mb/s, full duplex, flow control disabled
[ 565.614742] eth0: link down
[ 569.044463] eth0: link up, 1000 Mb/s, full duplex, flow control disabled
[ 583.210921] eth0: link down
[ 586.272028] eth0: link up, 1000 Mb/s, full duplex, flow control disabled
[ 595.960455] eth0: link down
[ 624.439506] eth0: link up, 1000 Mb/s, full duplex, flow control disabled
[ 697.160205] eth0: link down
[ 699.879246] eth0: link up, 1000 Mb/s, full duplex, flow control disabled

Code:
root@ICS-Dockstar:~# mii-tool -w
20:29:12 eth0: negotiated 1000baseT-FD flow-control, link ok
20:30:31 eth0: no link
20:30:43 eth0: negotiated 1000baseT-FD flow-control, link ok
20:32:22 eth0: no link
20:32:26 eth0: negotiated 1000baseT-FD flow-control, link ok

I rebooted it a couple of times and it appears OK now. Don't know why it was bouncing. Just recently added a 24 Port GB switch. So expanding out a bit from the rack with the 8 Gb switch on it.

Ordered a 9097U with two temperature sensors today and found the following for setting up on the Dockstar:

Code:
Programs for my temperature measurements
For my temperature measurement system I need digitemp (with USB-serial adapter pl2303) and webcam support (Logitech E3500). It can be installed with: 
$ apt-get install digitemp	# 1-wire sensor readout
$ cd /usr/bin
root@debian:/usr/bin# ln -s digitemp_DS9097 digitemp # select interface type
$ apt-get install minicom	 # for serial link
$ apt-get install uvccapture  # USB UVC Video Class snapshot program
$ apt-get install imagemagick # graphic tools library
$ apt-get install gnuplot	 # plot program
$ apt-get install python	  # 2.6.5-13
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/python-serial
$ apt-get install python-serial # interface for serial link (RS232)
$ apt-get install usbutils	# lsusb
$ apt-get install libv4l-0	# video for Linux
$ apt-get install ttf-bitstream-vera # simple sans font for gnuplot

Tests:
$ uvccapture -x352 -y288	  # gives shot.jpg from the webcam
$ digitemp -s /dev/ttyUSB0 -i # initialize resource file .digitemprc
$ digitemp -a				 # show temperature from sensor DS18S20

DigiTemp

Here's some neato network programs I installed this afternoon:

IPFM counts how much data was sent and received by specified hosts through an Internet link.
Code:
apt-get install ipfm

Ipgrab is a network debugging utility not unlike tcpdump except that it prints out detailed header field information for data link, network and transport layers.

Code:
#apt-get install ipgrab

IPTraf is an ncurses-based IP LAN monitor that generates various network statistics including TCP info, UDP counts, ICMP and OSPF information, Ethernet load info, node stats, IP checksum errors, and others.

Code:
#apt-get install iptraf

The tracepath utility is similar to the traceroute utility, but also attempts to discover the MTU of the path.

This package also includes tracepath6 and traceroute6 utilities, which may be used on IPv6 networks.

Code:
#apt-get install iputils-tracepath

The arping command acts like the standard ping command except it pings a machine by its ARP address instead of its IP address. It is typically used to locate a machine if its hardware address is known but its IP address is unknown

Code:
#apt-get install iputils-arping

The ping command sends ICMP ECHO_REQUEST packets to a host in order to test if the host is reachable via the network.

This package includes a ping6 utility which supports IPv6 network connections.

Code:
#apt-get install iputils-ping

jNettop captures traffic comming across the host it is running on and displays streams sorted by bandwidth they use. Result is a nice listing of communication on network by host and port, how many bytes went through this transport and the bandwidth it is consuming.

#apt-get install jnettop

Knocker is a new, simple, and easy to use TCP security port scanner written in C, using threads. It is able to analyze hosts and the network services which are running on them.

Code:
#apt-get install knocker

This will complete the installation now you need to run this program with the following command

#knocker -H 192.168.0.1 -SP 1 -EP 1024

Dan,

Can you try something running the Dockstar at Gb link speed?

I noticed that my connection is still not 100%. I left a terminal window open yesterday and noticed it would run sometimes for over an hour then the link would shut down and restart (very quickly though). So fast that the SSH session would stay up. But this morning after leaving it connected to the Gb switch noticed that I couldn't get to the Dockstar.

Code:
root@ICS-Dockstar:/# mii-tool -w

Back