Omni IIe and snaplink

That's really interesting. I recall that for a while I had to turn off my wifi in order to connect the snap link app from home. It was not always like that. Xfinity has the same modem and the setting is the same. They write visit website, where its written that everything need to be done via the router app. I was able to connect the snap link app after I created another setting using the Onmi ip address. So I can connect from home now :)
I was almost able to connect via cellular when I entered the omni ip in the DMZ. However, it lasted for a minute and now I can't connect anymore. ☹️What does this mean?

The Snaplink IP is totally different when you are on your home LAN versus on the cellular network. IE configuration of Snaplink.

If hairpinning is enabled on your router then you can leave your phone on the cellular network and get to your panel with the port open and wan IP.

That issue is related to your security level set on your router.

You still need to configure your router to pass the port to intern

Pete, this is high level for me. I google the words you are using, such as hairpinning. Do I need to change something with the modem for the hairpinnig? Do I still need to be able to port forward at end?

I was typing standing in line returning some Amazon stuff at a nearby Kohls.

Do I need to change something with the modem for the hairpinnig?
There is no switch to turn on or off hairpinning on your modem. Googling it doesn't look like your modem hairpinning is on by default.

Do I still need to be able to port forward at end?

To be able to access your panel from the Internet you will need to port forward to the IP of the panel from your WAN.

Or put the IP of the panel in a DMZ which opens everything to the IP which really is not safe.

Or run a VPN server on your network and VPN to your house via an OpenVPN client running on your iPhone.

I have been connecting to home via VPN now for many many years. Via VPN can get to my panel, automation software, CCTV, et al. One configuration for all with no open ports on my firewall.

Many newer routers include a VPN server and wizard to download the configuration file making it easy button installation.

Hairpinning is reverse NAT. Some modems do this by default and some have a switch to turn it on or off.

Here doing everything a la carte. IE: Arris Gb Modem - PFSense Firewall - Ruckus WAPs - L2/L3 and POE managed switches.

The neighbors are 80 and now their home is my second sandbox. All Apple stuff there. (PC, Tablets and Phones)

I have purchased for the neighbors and installed a couple of Amazon Alex Show devices, Tasmota switches, Ring Doorbell, et al. I want to keep it simple so told them just to update their XFinity combo box (same as yours) and via a wireless bridge here manage their network. They have done well with the Alexa automation.

Googling if hairpinning is on by default on your Arris router model CGM4331COM and TG4482A.

is hairpinning NAT Loopback enabled on an Arris TG4482A

Xfinity forum answer:

User Question.
So again, how do we get this standard feature enabled on the device.

Moderator answered:
Not in my experience.

Again. You can't. Sorry that I can't tell you what it is that you want to hear... Get your own equipment. Good luck !

So set up two profiles for your App. One with a local connecting app and another with a WAN connecting App.

Last edited:
Connecting again for you to see their Hardware and firmware revisions which are probably different than yours.

They also have cable TV (and streaming) and VOIP phone services that they use from their box.

Modem-1.jpg

Modem-2.jpg

Last edited:
The test for checking if hairpinning is enabled by default is to:

1 - configure your open ports to IP on your firewall and test connection to Snaplink via the WAN outside of your home.

2 - then while in your home connect to your internal wireless network and use the same Snaplink configuration (with WAN IP) on your phone.

If it works then Hairpinning is enabled by default on your router. If it doesn't work then hairpinning is not enabled.

It only works when you are on your network. There are no security concerns with Hairpinning enabled.

Back