• You've been granted Beta access to this site, allowing you to explore some of the new features while they're still under construction. More information can be found in the Beta forum.

HDTV Connection question

Quixote

I've just ordered a 7900 GTX extreme, and I noticed that it has, in addition to 2 monitor connections, an HDTV connection instead of an S-Video connection. I'm just wondering if it was a bad idea to order it, since I do not have an HDTV connection on my TV. :(

Does anyone here know if I can connect it via S-video? Thanks in advance.

IVB

Yep. From http://www.nvidia.com/object/7_series_techspecs.html

Advanced Display Functionality
Dual integrated 400MHz RAMDACs for analog display resolutions up to and including 2048x1536 at 85Hz
Dual-link DVI capability to drive the industry's largest and highest resolution digital flat panel displays up to 2560x16003
Integrated HDTV encoder provides analog TV-output (Component/Composite/S-Video) up to 1080i resolution
Full NVIDIA® nView® multi-display technology capability

What kind of TV do you have? Are you planning on upgrading soon? Do you do tons of gaming?

Just wondering why you got such a nice card for an analog TV. I use a $20 ATI 9000 Pro to connect to my analog TVs, since that's about as good as the PQ will get.

ginigma

Quixote said:
I've just ordered a 7900 GTX extreme, and I noticed that it has, in addition to 2 monitor connections, an HDTV connection instead of an S-Video connection.
Uh. what do you mean "HDTV connection?" There really isn't such a thing. You can connect to HD by Component, DVI or HDMI cables/interfaces.

Quixote

Thanks for the help. I've since done more reading and found that I will in fact be able to use an S-video cable.

I like to use my computer for gaming, but also watching movies on the television on occassion.

These are the connections I was talking about:
P450-7824-out2-hl.jpg