Help Needed For re-Ip-ing Snap Link

jbny525

Hi All,

I am helping out my friend who has HAI SnapLink installed in their house. They also have the mobile app. Just recently they changed their router and network to a Google Wifi Mesh network. When I open the snap link application on their desktop computer I can see it fails to connect and the reason is the IPs that were assigned no longer exist.

They did connect their switch to the new router so all of the physical connection should be good but how do I go about re-IP-ing every component with one that exists on this new network?

I know that once I get their components IP'd and on the internal network, I will have to set up the port forwarding rules on the new router but having zero experience with home automation tools, I find the snap link interface to be not so intuitive.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!!

Login to the Google Wifi router and under Advanced DHCP reservations and add the MAC and IP's you want assigned; then reboot devices.

This procedure should be done on every network that has home automation, not just Google wifi and not just this friend; seems someone dropped the ball when they removed your friend's existing router.
Hoping a DHCP service will always assign the same IP's is not prudent and so often, a couple day power outage can render most automation and surveillance equipment non-function where a DHCP lease is short or cleared.

...or you can assign static IP's on each device, but simpler is handling it at the router so as to avoid future conflicts....

The OmniPro panel does not do DHCP and you cannot assign a DHCP address in your router.

You have to manually install an IP following process/procedure above and manually assign an IP to the currently utilized subnet on your new router.

AS Pete say, the Omni doesn't have DHCP, so you have to manually set that.  THEN you ALSO should add an IP reservation in your router. If you don't, its possible for the router to allocate the same IP your Omni used to another device before it realizes the Omni is using it. I've seen it happen. Then, you need to add port forwarding if you want to access it outside your house. Then you need a DDNS account to keep track of it. 

So, set the IP in the Omni
Reserve the IP in your router
Forward the port in the router
Get DDNS to track your home's IP address

I concur with SJHart. 

Not sure that you can assign a static DHCP address on the router for a device which doesn't do a DHCP broadcast.  The IP of the OP2 device is statically assigned and you cannot change the IP from the router side using a static address dependant on a DHCP client broadcast / MAC address.

Here keep a scope of IP addresses for just DHCP and range for static IPs.

pete_c said:
I concur with SJHart. 

Not sure that you can assign a static DHCP address on the router for a device which doesn't do a DHCP broadcast.  The IP of the OP2 device is statically assigned and you cannot change the IP from the router side using a static address dependant on a DHCP client broadcast / MAC address.

Here keep a scope of IP addresses for just DHCP and range for static IPs.
it works fine. You are just "reserving" the IP address for the Omni. Yes, the Omni won't be actually able to assign it to the Omni, but it won't need to, as the Omni will have the correct address.  You can also assign it in a non-DHCP range. That works too.  Why I like the other method is because I put my IP addresses in groups, and some "fixed" IP address devices might be next to some DHCP devices.  Since you usually can only have one DHCP range, you can't do that using the other way.  

Most routers that I know of will not let you reserve an IP address unless the router sees the device mac address when it is asking for an IP address via DHCP. With PFSense there is no way to add a mac address / IP address in the static DHCP configuration.

I have never seen this on any SOHO combo router.  DHCP reservation only works if the device in question is broadcasting which the OmniPro panel does not.  You cannot manage the IP of the OmniPro panel from the router.  That is a wasted effort.  A static IP address configured on the OmniPanel is all you need.  Then configure an open port for Snaplink or use VPN.

On a WAP you can manage access to the WAP via MAC address.  That has been there since the early days of Wireless access points.

Yes here still mostly using static IPs and have a small DHCP scope for a 1/2 class C subnet.  Old fashioned a bit. 

The Ethernet port on the OmniPro 2 panel uses first generation Ethernet from the 1990's.  It is very promiscuous and that is why the panel Ethernet port debends the OmniPro 2 panel.  

There are no open ports on my current PFSense box and only use VPN / Snaplink to call home (and speak to the OmniPro 2 panel)  via tablets or phones or computers outside of my home network.  

They did connect their switch to the new router so all of the physical connection should be good but how do I go about re-IP-ing every component with one that exists on this new network?

You don't re ip all of the devices. 

You configure the new router with the same LAN subnet as the old router.  Same subnet would include IP of router which is the gateway, DHCP scope, mask and optionally DNS.

Every SOHO router that I have ever seen lets you do this.  It should be described in the manual of the router.  

Look at one configuration on one computer that had a static IP on the old router.   The IP, subnet mask, gateway address should be there.  Write it down and then configure your router for the same.

Then you can leave the OmniPro panel with the same IP that was configured to the old router.

Back